Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

looking both ways, before crossing over to my 3rd year

Hindsight is always 20/20. Or so that is what they say.

Looking back over my 2 years here in Mozambique thus far, my time spent during training in Namaacha, and then my placement in Quissico, and all of the traveling I have done in between. . got me to thinking. Would I have done anything differently?

Going all the way back to my preparation leading up to Peace Corps, I do think I should have tried harder to learn the basics of Portuguese. When I arrived in country I really had no idea what was about to happen, and until I was immersed in a language I didn't understand did I realize the necessity. Its something that we tend to take for granted in the US I think. . . the ability to communicate easily and rapidly with anyone. When I arrived here, I didn't even understand or know how to ask for a cup of water. It was the very basics for me. Because of this- I don't think that my PST experience in Namaacha was all that it could have been.

Once arriving here at site, I immediately began to integrate into the community. I was doing home-based visits with my community organizations, trying to find my place at the hospital, and doing my best to overcome the language barriers- day by day, becoming more comfortable with Portuguese. Looking back over the 2 years here in Quissico, I wouldn't really change anything. I have enjoyed my time here, I have been exposed to numerous life experiences and lessons. Some days (ok . . .weeks) have been extremely hard here, while some have been the best times of my life thus far. .  I have made a small reed hut, into a home. Making friends and family here in Quissico has molded my experience here into a loving and welcoming one. When I spend time with them life feels completely at peace. And, I have been fortunate enough to find a loving companion who has been with me for over a year now – my dog Lua.

From my ‘home base’ in Quissico, I have traveled all over the southern part of Mozambique, in addition to a few places in the central and north on extended trips;
I traveled to the Chimoio and Gorongoza area, over land, in the central for Thanksgiving of 2012. That area is now considered a “war zone” because of the ongoing political strife. I was flown to Nampula City last September for the REDES Handover, and took that opportunity to travel to Ilha de Moçambique and Pemba over land. I have had the opportunity to visit almost every volunteer site here in the southern provinces, especially now because of our limited travel abilities dividing the country. From the most rural areas inland Gaza and Inhambane, to the beach towns- I have had the opportunity to really see the beauty the southern part of this country has to offer.

I was fortunate enough to have 4 visitors here to share in my joys and frustrations. My mom visited over the New Year of 2013, which was hot, rainy, and wonderful. She came quite early into my service –which was both wonderful and (in hindsight) unfortunate for her. I was still trying to gather my bearings here in this country, struggling with the language, figuring out the best ways to travel etc. So she was exposed to the very raw and unrefined life of a PCV. The safari that we went on in South Africa was such a wonderful adventure! The incredible animals we were able to see, the new lessons that we learned, and spending time together. Couldn't have asked for more.

Next was my dad’s visit in June-July 2013. . .he came to Mozambique, via South Africa and Zambia. That was one of the best adventures I have ever been on. Seeing Victoria Falls, some new spots in South Africa (Durban and Pretoria), and then taking him to my favorite spots here in Mozambique! At the time that he visited, I was so much more comfortable with my life here, knowing how to navigate the transportation system, good places to stay at the beach, and just feeling more at home here at my site.

A decent amount of time passed before my next visitor came- during that interlude I was sent home to the states for emergency leave when my dad was sick, the holidays came and we welcomed in 2014, starting the anticipated final year of service!

In March of 2014 my aunt came to visit. I met her in the capital city of Maputo, and our adventures took us to a few beaches here in the southern part of Mozambique, and we even flirted with the idea of flying up to the north to do some traveling there(decided not to because of outrageous prices).  While we were at my site I showed her around, taking her to work, to the lagoon etc. It was really wonderful having her here because she was also a Peace Corps Volunteer in Africa (Kenya). Although the time difference between our services has allotted for many changes, like everyone having cell phones, electricity in small towns etc – many things are still the same; like the food and manner of transport. While she was here, I was able to really think about (and ultimately decide) about extending my contract for the third year. It was absolutely wonderful having her here in Mozambique, and I wish she could have been here a bit longer.

Last month, May 2014, I had my final visitor for my 2 year service- my brother! It was his first time to the continent of Africa, and he experienced the highs and lows of Peace Corps life. After having some luggage trouble with the airline, we made it to my site, from there we did a beach trip, but mainly kept it low-key, staying with other volunteers, and spending lots of time here at my site. Although we didn't go on any grand adventures here, I realize that it was still a “grand adventure” for him - which is all that matters. He says that he could do the Peace Corps life, but would never have any desire to do so, which is understandable . . . its not a life for everyone.

Having all of these visitors has truly helped my 2 years fly by. When you sign up for Peace Corps, you think about how long 2 years is, and while there have definitely been instances where it seems like time is draggggggging by, in hindsight, it has not been a long time at all.
I named this blog “living in the moments…” because that is exactly what life is here. It is all about the moments. Good and the bad, taxing and stressful, blissful and joyous. . . you get the picture.

The other evening, while I was watching the USA win against Ghana (GO USA!!!) my wallet was stolen, including my phone and all of my money (about 100 USD) so that was a truly unfortunate incident. But earlier that day, the testing center in town was opened, and has been running smoothly every day this week! We have already tested 35 people in the 3 days that it has been open- already a higher number than those that have been tested at the hospital in the same timeframe. Like I said, the bad with the good.

I am at Acomuza for the morning, and then will be heading to the hospital in the afternoon. Tomorrow is Cha Positivo, the monthly support group meeting at the hospital for HIV+ people. Afterwards I am traveling to the Xai Xai area for a work meeting from Thursday to Sunday. We will be finishing up the GAAC Toolkit that was started at my close of service conference back in April. Exciting times!

Until I am able to buy a new smartphone with an international sim card slot (if anyone has one stateside, please let me know, and I’d be happy to purchase one), I am working with a simple Nokia phone that calls/texts but has no internet. My number has changed as well for the time being +258 84 398 5044.

Xo’s to all


1 comment:

  1. The Moto E that I told you about has SIM, and it's cheap

    ReplyDelete