Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

thoughts, musings, and observations

Sometimes I feel like I’m the grandmother on an episode of Teen Mom. Lua is a great dog, and a decent enough mother, considering how young she is- but there are instances when I want to smack her and say “you are the one who got pregnant, this is your responsibility” and then I realize that I’m talking to a dog. Not a person.
I have become quite adept at soothing puppies (see on my resume under the section “special skills” – puppy whisperer) and starting to teach them right from wrong. Lua hangs around during the day, but then in the evening goes and wanders around, doing what she does. As the time has gone on, she has become more Mozambican, and less dependent on sleeping indoors etc. She prefers to be outside at night now, and oftentimes digs her own little bed in the sand. All of this is a good thing, especially considering that I wont be caring for her in a week or so. –side note, she is going to a set of PCV’s, but I’m sure that there will be an adjustment period.

who doesnt love a puppy pile


I started cleaning my house yesterday, taking down photos, organizing clothes to pack, throwing out a lot of old papers and such. . . Its strange to walk into my house and know that next week, it wont be my house anymore. I have been trying to think about how to word a note to the new volunteer about what life is like there, but don’t really know where to start. Every individual has a different Peace Corps experience, and what they make of it is completely their own. I will be leaving the keys to my house with the other PCV’s here at site, and will also leave money for the July energy bill. I have already written a note to the new volunteer about where to pay the bill, and will be leaving some old paid slips as examples. . . how strange. Some total stranger will be living in my house, my home in a few short weeks haha. Is it bad that I have created such an attachment to this house? It is my port in a storm, when things become too much to handle here, I go home. Its comforting, its beautiful, its small and shabby, but that's the beauty of it.
I have learned that as a human being, you don't need much to live comfortably. Yes, my house is not the best for hosting people (though I have hosted over 35 people more than once), but it is a perfect size for one, plus a canine companion.

home sweet home

On my walk to work today, I marveled (as I often do) at the stunning view I am privy to on a daily basis. The steep drop off from the main highway, down into the dense palm tree packed matu that leads to the edge of the lagoons, and the solitary strip of white sand dividing the two lagoons that is my private beach, the other bank of the lagoon is the dividing piece of land between the lagoon and the ocean.  The lagoon was a placid stretch of pale blue, the mirrored image of the two banks with the abundance of palm trees perfectly defined in the water, while on the other side of the dividing stretch of land- the ocean was a turbulent mess of waves, the white froth from the crashing giants visible from the highway.
That view… that spectacular image that presents something different every day for the eye to see will never be forgotten. I feel truly lucky that I have been able to call this spectacular place my home.

view from the highway, looking down onto the lagoon
 - the strip to the left dividing the two is our beach


a cloudy day at the beach

On a side note- my cousin tied the knot the other day to a wonderful man. To find someone that you are willing to commit to forever and ever is no small feat. I am so happy for her and her husband, wishing them a lifetime of laughter and love. It was when I started scrolling through some of the photos my family sent me of the even that I realized just how much I have been missing since being gone.
I wish I could have been a part of that wonderful day, to celebrate with loved ones and family, but (for better or for worse) my life has me going in a totally different direction.  

the happy bride, my aunt and uncle, and her new hubby



No comments:

Post a Comment