Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

algumas novidades

Good morning!
It has been a good while since I’ve posted- apologies. Things haven’t necessarily been busy here, its just that I’m not sure what to write about.

A few weeks ago, I finished up with the first round of site identification/development visits for the incoming health group (they arrive the first day of May) and spent a week or so in Quelimane, doing whatever it is I do here. From there I traveled to the northern city of Nampula, where I helped to facilitate the project design management (PDM) conference for the group Moz 22. This conference is held 6 months into our service here, giving us a chance to learn how to create, develop/design and implement a project alongside our counterparts to address the needs of our communities.

Sixteen Volunteers brought 17 counterparts from their local organizations to participate in the conference in Maputo and 11 Volunteers and 13 counterparts attended the workshop in Nampula. We are excited to see the community health projects they implement in their communities throughout the rest of their service!

From Nampula I traveled with the volunteers from the Nampula conference to Ilha de Mozambique. This was my second time on the island; I had traveled there in September of 2013 with my good friend Olivia after our REDES Handover conference. The island hadn’t changed, but I have, along with my interests. I had less of a desire to go to the discothèque, drink on the pier, etc. Instead I took the time to really see the historical aspects of the island. Went exploring through the fort, the historical museum that was once the governor’s house, the memorial garden, which honors those who were sold in the slave trade.  I took a lot of time to just relax, swim a good bit around the pier, and collect some beautiful sea glass. All in all, it was a fantastic and much needed mini-vacation.

I returned to Quelimane after a hellacious 14 hour trip that included 6 modes of transportation – a chapa to get from the island to Nampula, a personal car to get from one end of the city to the other, a big greyhound-style bus that took me to the turn-off to Quelimane, an open back truck that took me into the city and finally a bike taxi that took me to my apartment from the central market. It was a LONGGG day, and the next day, I don't think I moved far from my bed. 
at the fort

loving the sun and ocean

view of the pier from the top of the fort

some of the beautiful colors and architecture of Ilha


The last few weeks have been a boring string of daily life in Quelimane. Much of my work is still via computer/email, as I plan things for the upcoming round of site identification/development. I’ve been attempting to get in touch with people at the DPS, with little luck. Showing up to ICAP only creates more stress in my life because the office is such a negative work environment, and the end of this week finds me compiling the monthly reports from the volunteers we have in the districts. In addition to that, its time for our VRF (volunteer reporting form) to be filled in and turned into Peace Corps. While many volunteers do their own M&E in the field with their projects, and for various organizations the VRF is our own form of Monitoring and Evaluation. Fun times. . .

I was fortunate enough to participate in a Peace Corps panel at my old university, where two RPCV’s and myself were there to share our experiences and encourage people to apply for Peace Corps. It was a very interesting panel, full of similar life experiences and stories, though we all served at different times and in different countries. The panel didn't happen until midnight/1am my time here, so the next day was spent sleeping and working from home.

Today I’m back in the ICAP office, where I’m politely ignored, and not included in anything. Whatever.

I’ve started a countdown for various events- 140 days until I leave country, 34 days until the Bushfire Music Festival, and 125 days until my birthday. Haha! I’ve also selected my classes for the fall semester of school, and am trying to figure out my living situation. If anyone knows of a good but cheap road bike being sold, please let me know, I’m looking for one!!

Also, thought this was interesting and that you would all enjoy-
“Throughout service, Volunteers develop a relationship with a place like you would with a loved one.  First comes infatuation. Delighted by its immediate novelty and stimulated by adventure, you can’t wait to know it more intimately and give it all of your attention. Soon after the honeymoon phase recedes, however, you begin to perceive all of its “flaws,” and you’re forced to figure out whom you are in the face of all that is different from you. You might even come to resent the community for not being what you wanted it to be (for not satisfying you the way you hoped it would), before feeling so low you begin to wonder if it’s all worth doing in the first place. Then, like in any successfully intimate relationship, you discover the beauty in its depths and come to love it despite (or in spite of) its imperfections. You feel empowered because you see yourself and your community from a whole new perspective. You go on living, permanently altered by a secret only you are privy to because of the way you’ve experienced it directly.” - - written by a volunteer who recently COS’d from Armenia.

I can totally relate to this entire paragraph, and at this point, I’m looking forward to the work I have remaining in my service, and the next adventure on the horizon.

Be well-
t


No comments:

Post a Comment