Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Saturday, July 21, 2012


Written July 17, 2012
Posted- only time will tell

Small victory today! I figured out how to get books from my external hard drive to my kindle! Hooray! Yep- that’s about as exciting as it gets these days. And I know that that simple victory for me has others rolling their eyes. Face it kids, I’m not technologically savvy by any accord.

So we have all been doing a lot of file sharing from externals and I have now amassed a rather impressive collection of music (not that mine wasn’t before), movies, and the entire kindle library (over 30,000 books). Needless to say, if I ever state that I’m in the slightest bit bored, someone should smack me. I have enough media to last me more than a lifetime now, and am actually really excited about it haha. First item of business – put a bunch of good books onto my kindle – done! I cant wait to get into some Vonnegut and others. I cant explain how excited I am. Basically its like giving a small child a juice box. Well. . . I get excited about juice boxes too. Soooooo . . . ya. Basically I’m super excited about all of this haha.

Anyway- back to the real reason I’m here (oh yea, that Peace Corps thing) its been a fun few days of studying, going to class, working on language and domestic skills (I have my laundry down to about a 2 hour process now) and just generally mentally preparing for site announcements which happen this Thursday.

So the way this works – I have been in training here in Namaacha for about 7 weeks now. On Thursday we will be told where in Mozambique we will be serving our 24 month period – what NGO/INGO/CBO we are partnered with, the type of house we will have, and all that other good information. We have gone through some interviews leading up to this point, just so they can get a good idea of who we are/our background/what we want out of this experience etc. That last question is always the one that trips me up – I’m only 22, should I know what I want to do with the rest of my life or what I want out of Peace Corps? Jeez. . .i was kind of using this as a means of direction – figuring out what to do next was going to come towards the end of my service, not within the first 10 weeks.

Its been an interesting few days of self-discovery which goes hand in hand sometimes with self-doubt. Who am I to be here in a foreign country hoping to facilitate change? I’m 22. I can barely balance a checkbook, and often let food go bad in my own fridge. I’m lucky if I remember to put gas in my car, or to schedule dentist appointments, and here I am in a foreign country – speaking a new language – and hoping to create some changes for the better in people lives. The entire task seems a bit daunting.

Butttt at the same time, there are moments where this feels so right. I know I belong here, I love that I’m learning a new language, and that every day it seems to get a bit stronger – I gave my first Palestra today (sort of a informational speech) I talked to my family, and 3 other families about Malaria, the importance of prevention (avoiding stagnant water around the house, using mosquito nets at night, wearing long pants/sleeves, getting treatment right away if you do contract it etc) and was surprised that most got the general gist of what I was saying. Having people ask questions to you to go further in depth about your topic is always a good sign that they were generally curious and interested. Woop! Another small victory for the day!

But then after language class it was back to technical training, this week we are studying about organizational development – something that almost everyone here has already learned about either in grad school or through professional experience. I, being 22, am lacking in said education and am doing my best to keep up. I learned today what a SWOT analysis is, and how we can use it on an individual, group and then organizational level. Very interesting stuff which I plan on using in my service. (yes we get manuals that describe everything we are learning, which is good, considering my writing is quite terrible).

In addition to all of this class time, I have become close with my host family. These are incredible people who I enjoy spending time with, even if the kids tend to get on my nerves from time to time. Everyone is very receptive, and I can bounce ideas off of them, and they help me with my language retention (considering they don’t understand English haha). But even with all of this said, 7 weeks is a long time to be a guest in someone’s house. I’m about ready to have my own place, that way I can bathe when I want, drink tea when I want, have quiet time when I want, dance around to music that I like etc. be free to be me. It’s not that I’m not being me, I just don’t think that my personality fully translates both in a cultural and lingual context.

For all of those interested! I have a recipe for you – its called Mboa or Couve (depending on the leaf you use)

Ok, so you start out with the leaf (couve or something similar to it like spinach or collard greens) you chop that into fine ribbons/shreads and cook down with a bit of water. While you are doing that, you need to mash (or “pilar”) peanuts into a very fine powder, set aside. After that, you need one or two coconuts, split it in half and grate the inside of it into fine shavings (there is a special tool here that we use). After that, srain lukewarm water through the shavings, creating a coconut water. Add that, and the powdered peanuts to the cooking leaves. (this should all be done in a big pot, usually enough to serve 10 people or so). Allow this all to simmer for about 30 minutes, you can add onion and tomato if you like, but it all needs to come to a boil first, then simmer.

While you are at it, cook up some rice or xima (similar to grits, just cooked to the point of being very thick). Again, no measurements here, just put it in a big pot, enough to feed about 10 people, and cook over the charcoal “stove” alongside the other pot.

Simple you say? Sure. . . to some extent. But when it comes down to hand washing and slicing all those leaves, pounding peanuts into a fine powder, grating the inside of coconuts, and then watching it all so it doesn’t overcook? That process takes about 2/3 hours. All to be eaten within 25 minutes or so. Then its on to the next meal’s preparation.

I have a great respect for the women of this culture, their ability to run a household, raise children, and take care of a 22 year old child? Not an easy feat by any means. Oh, did I mention they do all of this with a baby strapped to their back in a capulana? I tried holding a baby in the makeshift sling on my back for a while-  I lasted maybe 15 minutes before my shoulder was aching, and my back was a puddle of pure sweat. I couldn’t imagine bending over a hot stove thing, or doing any domestic work with a 30lb dead weight on my back like that. P90X has nothing on what these women do on a daily basis. Hats off to you ladies.

That’s all for now. My bed looks comfy, and I have another long day of classes tomorrow. Time to put on socks, snuggle up, and read my book.

X’s and O’s

No comments:

Post a Comment