Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Written August 21, 2012.

Posted soon.

Good morning all! Its about 7am here on this lovely Tuesday morning, just got done with some yoga, and wanted to jot down some of my thoughts from my day yesterday. I was far too exhausted last night to even think about writing.

The morning started off just like every other, wake up, do some yoga, take a bucket bath, eat some breakfast (remembering to take my malaria meds. . .) nothing really interesting there. I was supposed to meet up with a volunteer from one of my organizations to go on my first set of “home visits” out in the field – which here is called the campu. The basic idea behind this is that the organization helps to educate people about HIV/AIDS and other diseases here, gets them to the hospital, on treatment, and then goes to check on them at their homes throughout the year.

Days out in the campu are long, hot, and involve a lotttt of walking. Did I mention that this is all done in loose sand? Needless to say, it’s a workout in itself just getting to these houses! But we made it to two yesterday, we sat and talked with the people, asked them how they were feeling, how often they take their meds, what they are eating etc. and reminding them that they need to get back to the hospital to get their next set of treatments. The people usually have a small piece of paper with dates on it that tell them when to go back, but sometimes a friendly verbal reminder helps too.

Walking through the campu is possibly one of the most beautiful things/places I’ve ever been. Palm trees everywhere, lots of really cool agriculture, the homes of constructed out of reeds with thatch roofs. Its really a totally different world. Hard to describe in words, but I’m trying to take as many pictures as I can. Its really quiet too, no sound of passing cars, music etc. just really peaceful.

So after our two visits, the volunteer I was with wanted to show me her house, and introduce me to her children, because we were “close” to her house. Hahah! Close meaning a 30minute walk down towards the lagoon. But its all relative here, so I just went along with it. Her house is really cute and quaint, she has a nice yard and lots of animals around her house. I also got to see the garden she has down by the lagoon (another 25min walk). Its gorgeous! Not only is the lagoon a crystal clear blue, but the number of gardens along the edge just adds this color contrast and beauty to it. Again, I found this place to be very peaceful. There were a few other women working in their gardens, watering and tending to the plants. Again, I tried to take pictures, because words just wouldn’t do this place justice.

We collected some things from the garden for lunch, and headed back up the hill. This woman maybe came up to my shoulder, and probably weights 120lbs soaking wet – she carried a 5 gallon bucket full of veggies, and water on her head, uphill in loose sand for 30 minutes. Hat’s off to her. That’s something that I don’t think will ever cease to amaze me – the strength of the women here. Well, people in general, but women especially because often they do these insane tasks for the home and usually have a baby strapped to their back. They have my full respect. I thought yesterday of the different types of mothers in the US, some who hire teams of nannies to take care of their child because they are just too ‘busy’, single moms who work during the day and go to school at night while trying to provide for their kid, and all the other sorts. I’m extremely lucky to come from a house where my parents were a team, supported by friends and family. They did an incredible job with my brother and I. I wouldn’t trade my childhood (or my life now) for anyone else’s. (momentary pause for the “aweee”) haha. Anyway, enough with the mushy stuff.

We had a great salad for lunch, with some tea (yes hot tea in the middle of the afternoon. .. ugh) and bread. No complaints here, it was good stuff. I hung out there a bit longer, just talking and enjoying the shade. One of her son’s scaled a palm tree to pick some not yet ripe coconuts (I think its spelled lanya) that we drank for dessert. YUM. You drink the coconut milk, and then you can eat the inside, its not fully ripe, so it peels off and has kind of a consistency of jello. Really really really good. And again, back to the strength of these people here, I watched a 15 year old boy scale a palm tree with his bare hands and feet, machete between his teeth to chop these coconuts down. Madness.

After lunch (around 3ish I’m guessing) I started heading back up to the town to help Angela and Sota with some things for the festival. Another hour walk uphill in loose sand, and I arrived in the town, pink faced and sweating like a pig. Yum yum yum. We pained a sign for the festival, worked on plans for the remainder of this week, and had dinner together. By the time dinner was over, I was just about falling asleep a the table, so I headed home. Don’t judge me, but I passed out at 8:30pm haha.

I have another full day today, tomorrow and Thursday. . . Friday people are going to start showing up for the festival, and its just going to be a crazy weekend from there. Hopefully after this week, I can have a bit of down time to go to the lagoon, or just take a nap! Whoever said PC would be a lot of hanging around must have been referring to later in service. Because as of now, I’ve kind of been going non-stop. Not that I’m complaining, its just a totally different life here. Little by little I know I’ll get totally acclimated to it.

Alright kiddies- I’m off like a prom dress. Keep it real, keep it cool. . .keep it real cool.
Alright. . .i’m done.

Keep the emails coming! Love hearing from everyone at home.

Miss yinz – come visit haha!

t

No comments:

Post a Comment