Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Monday, August 6, 2012


Written August 3, 2012

Posted in the near future.

Hi guys! I hope all is well at home. Things overall are good here- just going through the motions of these last few days in Namaacha.

This morning, the Peace Corps car came to pick up our two big boxes they gave us to pack our massive amounts of books, water filter, blankets, and anything else we decided to put in them. This is great because somehow I have amassed a massive amount of stuff being here for 9/10 weeks. I mean yeah, they give us a lot of books and such, so the extra box was nice for that, but to think that we arrived with one bag and backpack to leave with two boxes and our bag/backpack is kind of hilarious.

I have really loved getting all of the emails from everyone, it means so much that you all think of me, and wish me well. The support is overwhelming and wonderful. I had a thought the other day- when I am down in the dumps and feeling lonely (which I have already felt being here and know I will again) the reason I feel lonely, is that I miss people at home. People who I know love and support me. I have people to miss, which is why I feel lonely. So even though I am missing people, the fact that I have people to miss is a pretty wonderful thing.

So this is it, the last week here in Namaacha. On Wednesday August 8th we head to Maputo for our swearing in conference. I am really looking forward to a hot shower, and a mirror. Not that I am a vain person – in fact the amount of bread I’ve been eating here in Namaacha makes me second guess if I want to see a mirror haha, but it’ll be nice to be able to put in my contacts with a mirror, put on some makeup, and look nice.

In the coming days here in Namaacha, we are having a few parties/last get-togethers with all the volunteers. Tomorrow we are having a day celebration with all the homestay families, there will be food, music, dancing etc. it should be a nice time. On Sunday we are having a volunteer-only get together where we are having a pot-luck type thing. I will be making homemade onion rings, a very simple recipie here in Moz, get some flour, baking soda, and beer. Make a nice mixture, slice up some onions, dip in the mixture, fry for about a minute, dip back in the batter and fry again. Totally unhealthy, and yet totally delish.

I have P90X waiting for me on my hard drive, my yoga mat in my 2 year bag, and some other yoga DVD’s. once I get to site, I plan on getting my butt in gear and getting back on track with a workout routine. It’s just been too difficult here in this homestay situation to make and stick with a routine. Once I am at site, I will be on my own schedule and routine, something I am looking forward to.

So after seeing some people get care packages here in Namaacha I have started compiling a list of suggestions/ideas for items if people wish to send me things;
-       good shampoo/conditioner
-       any styling product for curly hair
-       body lotion (a nice clean smell)
-       face wash/lotion
-       deodorant
(sensing a pattern?)
-       any foods that are “just add hot water” ie- oatmeal
-       sheet music for guitars (yes I bought one here)
-       contact solution
-       spices, ie- cinnamon, cumin, pepper, crushed red pepper, thyme, rosemary etc
-       seeds for things like basil, lavender etc

-       pictures from home

really anything would be wonderful to get.

For my birthday my family sent me a “Ready Post/ Photo Document Mailer” thing. . sort of like a flat-mail envelope, but in it there were birthday cards. This made it to me, whereas letters did not. The postal system is tricky here, so if people want to send me letters, it may be best to save them up and send them all at once in something like that.

Kisses and hugs to all at home

t

No comments:

Post a Comment