Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Normal everyday life...


Written January 15, 2013

Morning all!

Well I’m back into the swing of things, as they say. Went to the hospital yesterday morning, was there until about noon doing work (helping organize and file paperwork – thrilling stuff), and then I went to Acomuza to hash out my schedule for this month.

Walked around town for a bit, of course hung out with Dona Julia for a while – all of this was going on while it was torrential down pouring. . . .ahh rainy season! Gotta love it!

So because it was rainy and crappy outside, I decided to make myself busy inside my house. I changed my sheets, having just bought new pretty purple ones in South Africa (yay!), re-arranged my mosquito net –Ceu (my dog) likes to sleep under my bed, especially when its rainy, so I have started tucking up my net around the edges of my bed to allow him easy entrance to his cave haha – and some other general housekeeping things.

I wanted to wash laundry, but that’s impossible seeing as I have no place to dry my clothes. . . damn rainy season! Luckily people here don’t judge you if you wear the same thing two days in a row, so I’m safe for a while!

Later, I did a great yoga workout. Moz 18 is starting this “Mozational Fitness Challenge” (if you say mozational right, it sounds like Moz, Motivational and 18 all together). Its going to run from January 19 to August 19, around the time of our mid-service conference, and our one year mark as PCV’s. it’s a great way to support and motivate each other, using Google Docs, we have a Group Workout Tracker, that we record our number of weekly workouts, comments, healthy recipies, workout photos etc. That way we can share and motivate even from a far distance!

The wonders of technology.

My peace corps experience in some ways is nothing like what I expected it to be. I was fully ready to live in a reed house, with a pit latrine in a small community – yes. But I was also expecting to be a bit more “disconnected” from the western world. . .  at first I was disappointed, no that’s not the right word. . . disillusioned perhaps? That I wouldn’t have the same experience as some friends and family did in past years/experiences. But now I’m realizing the beauty of this communication – I can share my experiences with you all at home so much easier, when people come to visit planning and organizing is also much easier, getting information for organizations, project ideas, staying in touch with fellow pcv’s its all so much easier. I’m not saying that I wouldn’t one day like to just unplug from it all and hang out somewhere with my own thoughts, but for now, I am very happy that I can be in contact with friends and family, on this continent and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment