Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Monday, January 21, 2013

To do, have done, and other types of lists


While mom and I were on our safari in South Africa, we met these two wonderful people, Jan and Nina. Jan had a funny way of always saying “check!” after we saw a new animal, and then would promptly check it off in the travel book of animals he had. Which got me to thinking. . .what if I did sort of a check list of things I’ve done thus far, things I want to do, and things I miss from home. Maybe go back to these lists every few months, to see what has changed, and what has remained the same.

So here they are. My rough draft of lists. I’m sure I’m missing many things on each.

Things I have done since being in Africa:
-       learned a new language
-       traveled to some world renowned beaches
-       integrated into a local community
-       watched a meteor shower
-       owned my own house and dog
-       traveled 5 of the 10 provinces in Mozambique
-       spent Thanksgiving in Gorongoza National park
-       spent Christmas at Tofo Beach
-       spent New Years Eve in Quissico with local friends
-       went to Kruger National Park
-       saw an insane amount of amazing animals
-       went jet skiing at Tofo Beach
-       learned to surf at Tofo Beach
-       survived my first hot season
-       met some really incredible people in my travels/life here
-       planted moringa trees in my yard
-       swam in the Indian Ocean
-       drank real coffee on my porch while watching the sunrise
-       cooked/baked in a dutch oven

Things I want to do while being in Africa:
-       travel the remaining 5 provinces of Mozambique
-       go to Tanzania
-       go to Victoria Falls
-       get some new projects started with my organizations
-       teach my dog some new tricks
-       get an herb garden started
-       get a refrigerator
-       make more capulana clothes
-       decide what I want to do with my future
-       eat more matapa, couve and feijao
-       learn to play the guitar
-       get in shape
-       travel to Kenya, and Egypt
-       take the GRE’s
-       figure out what it is I should do with my future
-       have more people visit me!
-       see a lion

Things I miss from home:
-       family and friends
-       running water (hot showers)
-       grocery stores
-       cheese
-       yoga classes
-       going to the gym
-       wine from bottles
-       men
-       convenience of travel
-       friends and family
-       Sunday mornings at the Dorstop/Eat’n Park
-       good beer
-       coffee shops
-       high-heels and skirts/dresses (feeling girlie)

1 comment: