Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Friday, March 15, 2013

swingg!


Written Thursday, March 14, 2013

Do you all remember the “swing” metaphor I was describing in some past blogs? I think this week is a prime example of how one can go from having a week that is totally frustrating, annoying, and disheartening (last week) to having a productive one that is filled with happiness. SWING!

Monday I had a productive meeting with the hospital director, and some of the head doctors about my hopeful Moringa nursery inside the hospital grounds. It was good, informative and productive. That afternoon I met with my REDES counterpart, and we planned out our REDES meeting for the next day.

On Tuesday I returned to the hospital waiting to meet with a gardener that was scheduled to come to the hospital. . .unfortunately he never made it, but that’s ok, because I was able to get some work done on my computer at the hospital- started making a power point presentation about Moringa, organized some paperwork for Peace Corps, started looking a bit more into grad school programs, and did some other “life admin” stuff. That afternoon we had our REDES (my girls empowerment group) meeting at my house. We talked about some possible projects to do this upcoming year, trying to get more girls involved, when our conference for trainers is going to be (mid-April I believe).

Once our meeting ended, the girls stayed for a bit just to chat. . . at first I was all about this, who doesn’t love some girl chat? But when it turned into a question session about why I don’t have kids/don’t want them, and them lecturing me about how I need to have at least one baby – because according to Mozambique, when I get back to the states I will have SO MUCH money, and need to have baby to spend this money on. Plus, what man would ever want me if I don’t want to have babies? And we all know just how IMPORTANT it is to have a man in your life. Heaven forbid I be single.

Sigh.

I did my best to explain that I’m living in the same situation that they are here in Moz- sitting in front of my reed hut you think that would have been clear- and that when I go home, I will be beyond broke, and in no way ready to have a child/be married. It didn’t translate.

Sigh (again).

I was and still am hesitant about having a REDES group. It is a huge responsibility on top of the work that I am doing here at site already – yes I have my days where there is nothing to do, but overall I have had a very busy and productive service here in Mozambique. So to commit to this project that I am not completely interested in is just a commitment I’m not sure if I am ready to make. I promised a friend here that I would stick it out for a bit at least. . . so we will see.
Wednesday I was at ACOMUZA for our weekly meeting. Finally I got to present about our seminar in Manjacaze a few weeks back. We went into great detail about some new plants, new forms of planting them, new nutritional information, medicinal plants, and finally a solar dehydration box. By far one of the most productive meetings I have had with them the past month or so. It felt really good to share and impart this knowledge. Knowing that this form of teaching will help to change lives for a healthier better.

After this productive meeting, I wandered through town a bit, did some grocery shopping, stopped in to say hey to Dona Julia (of course) and headed home. Unfortunately upon my return home, I noticed Lua’s stool contained worms. After a quick online diagnosis, I have decided that she has tapeworms, which aren’t a good thing at all. So I took her immediately to the Agriculture building in town, of course the technician wasn’t there, and I was sent on a wild goose chase back through town to try and find “some guy” who sold meds. Well I finally found him, and he was out of the meds, but he gave me the number for the technician, so hopefully today I will be able to get her vaccinated. And if that doesn’t workout, I am heading down to Macia/Bilene beach tomorrow, and I know that they have a vet in Macia, so I can take her with me there.  

I was severely startled by this discovery, as I know tapeworms can infect humans, and cause intensive damage. Its not like I have been playing with her poop, or ingesting it, but I know that it can be caused by fleas as well, and as I spend the better half of a day a few weeks back de-flea-ing her, I could have easily swallowed one.  So I called PCMO (peace corps medical office) and found out that I have medication available to me if necessary, and will be given a "poop test" in August during my mid-service conference. I also would have shown some serious symptoms, like fever, nausea, and weakness. So far, I’m ok. But will be continuing to take my temperature and monitor my health.

Again, any sort of medicine for fleas, heartworm meds, etc for the puppy would be greatly appreciated in care packages. Its just too hard to find such things here, and when I do, it is wayyy out of my price range.

Now I know that some of you may be rolling your eyes at the extent to which I am caring for this animal, as some may not agree with me having one in the first place- but I will say this. The months living in Namaacha, then the two months spent living in my temporary housing, and then the few weeks here without Ceu, my life didn’t feel normal. Having a dog here is good mental and emotional support. I love my little girl, and it gives me something to care and love for. Not to mention, the unconditional love given to me in return. – so for me, its all worth it.

Today I have a few things to get organized with my organization Despertai, and hopefully all goes well with Agriculture this morning with Lua. Some friends are coming down tonight, so I’m going to do some good cooking for them. Tomorrow morning, heading down to the beach for a nice relaxing weekend with friends. 

xoxo -t

No comments:

Post a Comment