Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Stomp Out Malaria!

Morning kids! Writing this from my blackberry during a meeting at my one community organization. Its being held all in local language, so I am not really catching onto much. I have a translator sitting next to me, but she has dozed off hahah welcome to a meeting in Mozambique.

Its getting to be 'wintertime' here, which means I can wear jeans, and not be sweating through every piece of clothing! Hooray! I used a blanket last night to sleep, what a novel concept.

So I've had a productive few days, getting things organized with my community organizations, trying to get my project at the hospital started, and working with my REDES girls.

Monday, two of my girls from my REDES group came to me in confidence to talk about some gynecological problems they had been having. So tuesday I went with them to the hospital to get tested for various diseases, including doing an HIV test. Neither of them had ever done test such a this before, so I was there to explain to them various procedures, possible diseases, treatment etc. It also gave me a chance to talk openly about safe sexual practices, and that they shouldn't feel cultural pressure to have sex if they don't want to (they are both 13/14yrs old). We went through the entire process at the hospital, tests, diagnosis, getting a prescription, going to the pharmacy, and then getting the appropriate shots/vaccines they were prescribed. It was cool to play the 'older sister' role in this, and I was able to share some of my personal experiences in this area. I felt like an actual health volunteer, because I was actually seeing people using the available heath care/treatments offered.

Afterwards, I went down to my other community organization- we put together a program for next weeks meeting, I won't be there because of my Peace Corps conference, talked about what my counterpart needs to pack for next week and what to expect at this conference. Just a small planning session, yet it was very productive.

Went home to take an afternoon nap, then had my REDES meeting- we are working on a small theatre piece for World Malaria Day - its April 25th for those of you who don't know. Check out 'Stomp Out Malaria' and get involved. It is totally possible to eradicate this disease, with continued education about treatment and various prevention methods.

The skit we are putting together is just a 10 minute example of someone sleeping without a net, getting bit by a mosquito to wake up with symptoms. For two days the person doesn't go to the hospital, thinking its just a head cold, only to get worse. Finally getting to the hospital, the doctor there lectures the patient a bit about needing to come to the health center sooner, and to sleep under a net. Its a very basic skit, but it gets the general idea across.

I am hoping to do a net distribution through the hospital on the 25th, and both of my CBO's are doing small palestras (instructional workshops) in the field about malaria, when they do their home visits. Too many people here use their mosquito nets for their gardens or to catch fish, rather than sleeping under them. So comeon kids! Get involved! Check it out!

Life continues on here. With all the strange daily things that make life interesting here. For example- this morning walking into my CBO with my one counterpart Samuel, we saw one of our other colleagues waiting for us. Now, the woman waiting has HUGE breasts, there is no getting around that fact, Samuel goes up to her, grabs and holds her breasts, saying that he wants some of the delicious milk that must be in them, for them to look that big! It was all said in jest, and they are good friends, so my friend just joked back with him that he was the biggest baby she's ever seen, but not bothering to remove his hands. Hahaha I thought after almost 11 months here I had seen it all. . . Apparently not.

With that, I wish you all a breastfully- I mean blissfully happy week ahead.

Stomp Out Malaria!

-t

No comments:

Post a Comment