Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

thoughts from the road

Writing this from the inside of a boleia-

Its saturday April 13, and I am heading home by way of Chidenguele (gaza province) after our PDM conference wth Peace Corps. The conference went really well, and wsa actually very informative and helpful. Unfortunately only one of my counterparts from one community organization was able to attend... Long story about why the other one didn't show up, but with the one that I did have there it went amazingly. We now have an entire project framework laid out for an income generation/community educational project. And I gained a new skill set. This is my first actual project that I am starting from the very beginning. -yes I have been doing educational workshops and small projects with my orgs, but as far as a 'big' project from start to continuation (I won't say finish because its hopefully going to continue after I'm gone).  It was a really neat and interesting conference allowing me to spend time with my fellow 18ers and some really great host country nationals. The food was decent, beds comfortable, and although the showers were outdoors and not warm, I was able to wash and rinse my hair with both hands. A realllly nice thing.

So its starting to get chilly here in Moz! I have blankets on my bed, use a fleece jacket in the mornings and evenings, and don't mind drinking tea during the day! Now when I say 'chilly', keep in mind that I still do live in Africa, it maybe gets down to 28-30 degrees C here, but when you live in a reed house that floods a bit when it rains, that can get cold man!!

Sitting in this boleia (I'm in the cab of a truck) we have literally listened to the same songs 6 times over. Ugh. Welcome to hitchhiking in Africa. I had a lovely day thus far though, caught great rides from where our conference was to Xai Xai, did some shopping in the big market there, and am heading to spend the night with a friend who has been taking care of Lua while I was gone!

Lua continues to be a dog about Mozambique, having traveled all over Gaza and Inhambane provinces, and she is growing quickly as well. I'm so excited to see her later today, and very grateful to my fellow PVC who has looked after her these past few days. She knows some basic commands, and generally is a very laid back dog. I'm still very happy to have her.

Ok- in a new boleia now. This will make my boleia count for this trip from Maurracuene to Chidenguele (a trip that should maybe take 4 hours tops)  to a total of 5, and I'm still not there yet. Ill have to catch a 6th ride before I reach my final destination. Have you all enjoyed the ride with me? The first one we sat in the back of a truck, second one we piled ontop of a flatbed truck, third I was in a nice car with seatbelts, fourth the cab of a bigger truck (but not a semi) and I'm now in a similar situation.

The past few weeks have been sliding by- its already the middle of April? When did that happen?
There has been some civil unrest in the central part of Mozambique with some violence associated with transportation. So we have been on a travel ban from that area of the country. Could prove to hinder our annual Beer Olympics, held in Vilankulo (northern Inhambane province) where all PCV's from the entire country meet up to play. We shall see what happens.

Other than that, all goes well here in Moz... Staying busy with work, getting my REDES girls together and organized for our malaria theatre piece, and working on some informational workshops with my two community organizations about malaria. We will Stomp Out Malaria!

Alright kids, I leave you now. I'm out on the side of the road, tossing my hair to the side and stickin' my hip out, hoping for a lift for the last leg of my journey!
Boa Viagem!

1 comment:

  1. This article content is truly great read for me.

    ReplyDelete