Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Monday, September 23, 2013

monday blues

Good morning everyone-

Well. . . .it would have been good if there had been coffee involved. . . unfortunately I have been without power for the past 3 days, so unless I ask my neighbors to use their stove/fire, I have no way of boiling water/cooking. Fortunately I am good friends with my neighbors, and have been able to do a bit of cooking on my stove in their homes these past few days. . .yep, that's right, they have energy and I don't.

Let me rant for just a minute or two- all day Saturday we didn't have energy, it was a scheduled working time, no big deal because we were told it would come back at 5pm – which it did… to every house in my town except mine and my two neighbors houses. Why, you may ask? Because there was a downed power line that connects the three of us to the “grid” …. So I call the power company, because no one else has the motivation to do so.
            - side note about Mozambique, people will wait around and complain about shit, rather than take the initiative to actual fix the problem.

So I make the call, the guy says he will be there soon…. But I don't bother holding my breath. Its Saturday evening, there is no way he is coming. Sooo… I call early Sunday morning, and he shows up- the problem is fixed, and I have energy once again.
            - side note again, the man who came to fix the energy was a classic example of everything that is wrong with men in this country. He was an arrogant ass, who called me “mulungu” said the typical things about wanting to marry a white person to go to America, etc. . . disgusting. Oh, and he did most of this in the local language, not realizing that I understood everything he was saying. So when I responded rather curtly, in the local language, the look of shock on his face was hilarious. Yeah dude, you are a fucking assbag.

So energy is back, its all going well, I’m baking a cake, boiling some water for a bath, and then BOOM. . . . energy gone again.

But here is where it gets interesting. I don't have energy- but all of my neighbors do. Why you may ask? I don't know. I checked all of the lines, the circuit breaker at my house …. It all seems to be in working order. So I call the guy up again, and he ignores my phone call. So I call my landlord – who is in Maputo as per usual, and he says to just keep trying to call the fuckwad (pardon my French) from earlier. Who, again, is ignoring my calls.

Whatever. I did some studying for the GRE’s by candle light. And went to bed at 8pm. Nothing much else to do.

So this AM I get up nice and early, thinking I will go to the energy place and resolve this issue. . .of course no one is there. I don't get it!!! People wake up at 4am, why cant a business be open at 7/730am?! Sigh. . . .so I am here at the hospital. Waiting for the people at the office to show up, charging my computer and my phone here.


Mehh… Mozambique.. you make it really tough to love you sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment