Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

a goodbye, and some ramblings

I have many things I wish to write about, and the funny thing is, not much has really happened here in Moz to report.

Firstly, I would like to dedicate a moment or two to my friend, coworker, and wonderful person Nelson Magul, who passed away last week. I know I mentioned him in a previous post, but I would like to bring to light the reality of this loss. It is not often that you meet a younger individual in this country that is educated, dedicated, motivated, and an all around –good person. He was one of the good ones for sure, and was making a tangible difference here in my town. I enjoyed working with him from the moment we met, he was dedicated, responsive to suggestions, and kept me both busy and informed here at the hospital- something that I had been lacking a great deal since coming to site over a year ago. For him to die so tragically and suddenly, with so much life left, and things to do, is a great shock. Our team here at the hospital has suffered a great loss, we have lost a friend, and until today did I realize just how much he will be missed.
            -We had our monthly HIV+ support group today, and I don't know if it was the prayer said in the local language, the song dedicated to him, or the look on everyone’s face when the tragedy was announced, but I finally have accepted the loss, and am allowing myself to be truly saddened by this occurrence.

Secondly, I don't know if its “senioritis” kicking in, or if I’m sick of my role at the hospital changing, or because work is slowing down for the year. . .but I’m kind of “over it” here. It could just be a bad week, or a bummed out day, or the fact that the GRE is over and I’m not stressed as much anymore. But yesterday afternoon I was sitting on my porch, after a very productive morning of work, with nothing really to do – and didn't enjoy it. Naira is in South Africa organizing her visa, my friend Artur moved to a different town further south, Fernanda is in Maputo, my closest neighbors are either MIA from the peace corps scene, have ET’d or are in the capital city with their girlfriends, and even my neighbors have gone for the holidays. So its literally just Lua and I in the evenings now.
I successfully watched all of season 5 of Sons of Anarchy (someone want to send me season 6?) cooked a big pot of split pea soup, make my smoothies every day, cleaned etc. I had NOTHING to do. So I sat and watched the sunset, which usually brings me a lot of enjoyment. While the sunset was stunning, as per usual, I didn't feel a connection to it – to my life here. I’m on the downward slope of my service, only left with about 7 months to go. I’m getting a new sitemate next month here in Quissico, who will be in the Education sector of the Peace Corps program. This is very exciting, and I am thrilled for someone to experience the beauty of Quissico – but I feel that personally I’ve “done it all” here.
-suggestions for things to do around town/with my free time are welcome.

Thirdly, work is actually going very well. With my new counterpart here at the hospital we are doing some great stuff. Getting GACC groups started, the relationship I have created between the hospital and my community organization, ACOMUZA is going really well, we are preparing for “DIA 1” – world HIV/Aids day here (December 1st), etc. its going great- what any seasoned volunteer could hope for. Even my work with the REDES project is going well. While my groups have stopped meeting for the year, until the girls come back to Quissico/restart school next year, the program of getting REDES legalized into a separate organization continues on. Which is a really great thing.

I have run out of internet credit. Still have much more to write. So I will post this now, and post the remainder at a later time.

Hugs


t

No comments:

Post a Comment