Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

gobble gobble

A great big sigh of relief, my dad’s second surgery went very well, and he is home from the hospital. Now we are just waiting for the biopsy results from the removed thyroid, and all should be well.

In light of these recent health problems, occurring in my immediate family, I have personally started a Peace Corps version of a “wellness program” here in Mozambique.  What does this entail you ask? Well . . . it means a few things. Firstly, I have cut way back on my alcohol intake, what is the point of poisoning my body with nasty tasting alcohol? Its not even good beer, so why drink it? Secondly, I have started a daily workout routine. Yes, I was working out before, but not in this type of organized fashion. I now have an organized schedule, and I follow it the best that I can. Thirdly, I have become very aware of the food I am putting into my body, and have tried to make it the so I am only eating the healthiest, most nutritious food I can. Oatmeal and moringa for breakfast, usually a fruit smoothie for lunch (banana, papaya, mango, yogurt, coconut milk, and moringa) and some sort of stir-fry or hearty bean stew for dinner. I have also started incorporating morning meditation into my daily routine. Giving myself a few moments every morning where I let my feelings become visitors – they come and go, and I let myself sink deeper into another level of consciousness.
Through this process my body has started to feel exceptionally better, which is good – the heart problems my father suffers from are genetic. Whatever I can do to help prevent or stall this outcome is what I will do.

I have recently finished a few books; Secret Daughter- Shilpi Somaya Gowda, Jurassic Park- Michael Crichton, World War Z – Max Brooks, The Concubine’s Daughter – Pai Kit Fai, The Autobiography of Macom X – Malcom X.
And many others. . . I have some down time in the evenings here. I suggest you all get out and read, its good for the soul. –then report back about what books you liked! I’m always on the lookout for the next good read.

Another personal victory; all of my graduate school applications have been submitted. Yes that's right kiddos. . .this girl is trying to become a grownup. Wild. I have applications in to Johns Hopkins, Emory, Maryland, Pittsburgh, and Boston. All for a masters of public health program, most with a concentration in behavioral and community health. Keep your fingers, toes, and whatever other extremities that can be crossed, crossed. I need all the luck I can get.  

Work continues along. . . I don't want to say we are wrapping up for the year. . but we are wrapping up for the year. Break starts on December 15th, and everyone is just getting things in order before we go away for the holidays. I have a few things going on right now with CCS and Acomuza, REDES has been put on hold until school starts up again next year, and I am desperately seeking a new counterpart. Other than that, work is work. Same stuff, different day- which is fine . . . I just hate feeling like I'm getting complacent. Which is why I have been brainstorming with a few counterparts for some new project ideas. I think we have a few winners! 

This week is Thanksgiving – what is everyone thankful for?
I am thankful that my dad is healthy.
I’m thankful that my family and friends are healthy, happy, and are still very supportive of my life decisions.
I am thankful that I have a beautiful life here in Mozambique, which has introduced me to so many incredible people, Mozambican and others.
I am thankful for real coffee.
I am thankful for you, the faithful blog readers, that make this silly website meaningful.
I am thankful for this life, which has led me on some incredible journeys so far, and I cant wait to see where it takes me.


Give Thanks. Give Love.      – Happy Thanksgiving, from your friend in Mozambique

No comments:

Post a Comment