Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

a quote

I am never quite sure how to start blog posts. So this time around- I’m going to start with a quote.
“All our dreams can come true- if
we have the courage to pursue them”
~Walt Disney

I interpret this as, if a person has enough gumption to do something out of the ordinary (like move to an African country for two years) anything is possible. I found this quote stuck with me because of my recent applications for graduate school. I’m not a prime candidate for some of the programs I applied for – I have no research experience, and Peace Corps has been my first real ‘job’ aside from the numerous part-time ones I worked in the states.  I have received confirmation emails from Pitt, Boston, Hopkins and Maryland that my application was delivered, and currently under review.

I find myself growing more and more restless here in Quissico as the days go on. I remember having similar feelings before leaving the states for Peace Corps- sort of an “itch” to start something new. Maybe my attention span is only good for a year and a half until I’m ready for the next adventure. It’s not that I don't love it here, because I still very much do- not only is it geographically stunning, the people are wonderful, I have great neighbors, a cool house, and a funny-looking dog … what’s not to love? It’s just that life here is starting to feel so routine. . nothing really is new. I go to work, and then I come home. Womp.
-       I don't know if this change in perception is because I was briefly home, and realized just how many things there are to do in the states compared to here – or if I’ve just exhausted the possibilities here in Quissico.

Work at Acomuza continues to go along smoothly. I have some plans with a few coworkers to start a medicinal plant garden right in the front of our property. We can then use the plants to create holistic remedies, like dried moringa powder, to give to our clients – or possibly even sell in the market as an income generation project. As the holiday season approaches, people will be going on break starting next Friday the 13th and not coming back until the 5th of January or so.

The relationship I formed between CCS (my organization at the hospital) and Acomuza continues to go well. We have started passing out the “busca cards” which are basic information cards of people who have abandoned treatment, and with these cards the activists here go out into the field and try to find these people and encourage a return to the hospital. We have also been quite successful in the creation of GAAC groups, support groups of 6 persons or less, for people living with HIV/Aids. These groups help divide the work and cost of a hospital trip to receive ARV medication. It also creates a basic form of responsibility for patients, keeping them accountable to their group members to take their medication, and go to the hospital when it is their assigned turn. It is a great program, that I personally hope gains more traction here in my community, and nationwide.

My new site-mates come this Friday, so I’m excited about that. I am still not sure where exactly they are living, but it’ll be nice having some Americans close by – rather than the hour to two hours as it is now.
I have decided that Lua is indeed pregnant. Sigh . . . . I tried so hard to give the “birds and the bees” talk, and keep it from happening, but nature ran its course I suppose. I’m going to estimate a due date of late January. Babies. . . ugh. Hopefully I can find a good home for each of them, either to other volunteers, or friends/family here in Quissico. The time will come to do the same for Lua, looking at costs for bringing an animal home – they are outrageous! So she will stay here in sunny Mozambique, hopefully with someone who loves her equally as much.

Not too much more to report. Life is dull, and I’m not entirely happy with a lot of things these days… trying to keep my head up through it all, and just know that with life (wherever you are) there are “peaks and pits” right now, I’m just in a rut. It’ll get better soon.

Thank you to all who sent thanksgiving wishes and good words – I really appreciated them! I was able to chat with my family a bit on turkey day, which is always a treat.

X’s and O’s


t

No comments:

Post a Comment