Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Sunday, December 22, 2013

snow? or sand and sun

Hello everyone!
So its been a fun few days here in Mozambique, I have been traveling, taking advantage of the lagoon here at site, and spending time with my new sitemates!
As I wrote in my last blog post, I had plans to travel to the northern part of Inhambane Province to see two friends who live there.  The first stop I made was Mabote, an inland town about 3 hours off of the EN1. It was a dirt road to get there, full of potholes, cows, and dense vegetation on either side of it- a cool experience heading out to the “bush”. The town itself wasn't too different from my home here, something I have discovered here – EVERY town looks the same, its just the surrounding area that may be a bit different. I loved my friends house, she lives in a canico (reed) house, just like mine, but it is circular and has a thatch roof. She has made the small space so homey, and it is so wonderful that we enjoyed just lounging around on a very hot day together.
I enjoy going to new towns/seeing new places, but as I said, all towns kind of look the same – so what I am really doing on these trips is going to see my friends.
I spent two nice days with my friend in Mabote, and then headed back out to the EN1 to hitchhike up to the verrrrry top of Inhambane Province, where I had to head east from the national road towards the coast to get to my other friends town. Again, the town was very similar, just the terrain a bit different, less palm trees, less vegetation, many more goats.  On this part of my travel I was able to meet some new volunteers, and spend time with some old friends. It was a lovely sleepover that lasted an extra day because of some torrential downpours – travel in this country isn’t all that fun when the roads are flooded.
I think it is safe to say that I have now seen most of Inhambane Province the interior, and the coast.
For Christmas, I am going to another friends site – a private beach about a 45 minute walk off of the EN1 (no paved road for cars to enter). So I will be without energy/cell reception etc for the holiday. I think there will be about 15 people in attendance, it’ll be a camping adventure in the bush, on a private beach – a classic Peace Corps experience.  New Years Eve I will be here at site, spending the holiday with Dona Julia’s family, just like last year. Looking forward to each day, and time spent with friends who have become family.
Like last year, it just doesn't feel like the “holiday season”. There are no carol’s in the air, no snow, no decorations anywhere – but unlike last year, I’m not really bothered by it. I remember feeling a bit sad/lonely about missing holiday traditions at home, but (and this may be cynical) here, its honestly just another day. . . I am going to enjoy the time spent with other volunteers, and the beautiful beach, but it wont feel like Christmas- just another trip to a great beach. TOUGH life right? I am not trying to convey any ill will or bad attitude, just sort of a ‘shoulder shrug’ towards the traditional western holiday season here.
I am on leave from work until January 6th, so after Christmas with my friends, I’m going to go to Tofo beach for a day or two, then will be back here at site for New Years Eve. Like I stated previously, I have been taking advantage of my days off to travel, go to the lagoon often, get my workout on, and hang out with my new sitemates.
Yesterday the three of us ventured up to Inharrime so I could introduce them to the modista (seamstress), find them some wicker furniture like I have at my house, and so they could get a grill made. Such men, wanting to kill chickens and grill meat (beats chest). Just kidding. . . kind of. They are great guys, I truly lucked out in the sitemate selection.
So, once I get back to work in January, I’ll have about 6/7 months left. . .where the time has gone, I really have no idea. Grad school applications have all been received, I have confirmation emails from each school, and hopefully I will be notified of decisions in 3-6weeks.
HoHoHo, be merry, be peace, be love.

t

No comments:

Post a Comment