Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

feliz novo ano

Happy Holiday season (continued)
I hope that everyone had a safe, and joyous Christmas, a nice start to Hanukkah and Kwanza and something fun planned for New Years Eve!

I journeyed about 3.5 hours north of my site to a remote town called Cumbana Agricola, a very “matu” (in the bush) site about a 5km walk off of the EN1. I had some friends stay at my house the night before to break up their travel time, so we all awoke on the 24th, had some French toast and coffee, then hit the road – stopping in Maxixe to buy provisions like water, food, booze etc. this was a BYOeverything kind of event, so we wanted to be prepared.

We all hopped in a chapa (there were enough of us that we just ended up renting it out) that took us to the turnoff to the town. From there a friend of our fellow PCV who had a car to take us right to his house met us! Talk about the importance of ‘knowing a guy’ haha that walk would have been a killer with all of our luggage, food and water.

Our friends house is no bigger than mine, but a big difference is that he doesn't have energy any of the time, his neighbors have a small generator, so they can have a few lightbulbs at night, but my friend relies on solar panels and such to charge his computer and cell phone. It made me think about how fortunate I’ve been in this experience to have energy the entire time. Yes it isn’t always reliable, especially during the hot season, but I do have it a majority of the time, which allows for my refrigerator, electric kettle, and my computer to function. What can I say, I’m spoiled haha!
But back to the Christmas celebrations. . . words cannot describe the beauty that lay before us at Cumbana Agricola. . . I have a spectacular view of the lagoon and ocean at my site, but my friend can see the ocean from his front porch. Its about a 30 minute walk down to the beach, and you will not encounter a single soul on the walk or on the beach. Beautiful clear blue water, fun waves to play in, and lots of wood nearby so we could build a very big bonfire. Not a shabby way to spend Christmas if you ask me.

The stars at this place were incredible. . . now, I’ve seen some amazing stars here in Mozambique, and in South Africa – but being this far removed from any sort of power source, city, etc. . . .it was humbling just how beautiful the night sky was. There was even a full moon the one evening, so we had our own natural light on the walk back from the beach. I used a friends “bug hut” (a mesh tent with no rain-fly) to camp, so I had a perfect view of the stars and moon when I went to bed each night.
We spent a few days there, just soaking in the sun and surf, enjoying spending time with one another. There was a Yankee Swap for gifts, lots of good food (all cooked on an open fire) and plenty of wine to go around - all in all, a very different, but very fun Christmastime celebration.

I traveled to Inhambane City on my return south, and spent a day or two there before coming back to site. Its nice to be home, but there isn’t much to do here really . . . everyone is traveling for the holidays and its raining a good bit (welcome back rainy season!). I remember last year at this time being here at my house with my Mom – still a bit new at this Peace Corps thing, so exploring town was equally as fun for her as it was for me. If only she could see me now, my house finally a home, I have good friends and family in town, and I finally feel that I have a grasp on this crazy life here in Mozambique.
I’ll be spending New Years Eve with Dona Julia and family, like last year – and I believe that my sitemates will be joining me in the festivities. I am really looking forward to it, and will be baking lots of goodies today to take with me to the party. I’m thinking and apple crisp, maybe some sugar cookies, and a banana crumble? Thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

Oh, one last thing-  and I hate to leave a post with a sad note . . but. . . Lua had her puppies while I was gone. Apparently there were only three of them, and all were stillborn. I discovered their bodies buried in my front yard when I came home. Lua is now much skinnier, and I think is going through a doggy version of depression. She sleeps a lot of the time, and really doesn't like to be very far from my side. She hasn't been eating much, which worries me. . .so I’m keeping a close eye on her, giving lots of hugs and smoochies, and hoping for the best.

Tomorrow is New Years Eve, not my favorite holiday by any means, but here in Mozambique I’ve had a nice time of it, and am hoping for a good year as well. This new year will bring a lot of changes to my life, the end of my Peace Corps adventure, hopefully the start of graduate school, and all sorts of new adventures to come. I appreciate all you faithful blog readers for sticking with me through this experience, and hope that you are enjoying it as much as I am!

A big bear hug, and sloppy smooch from Lua and I for your midnight countdown this year! I’ll be there next year with my party hat on to celebrate!

Boas Entradas! Happy New Year! Feliz Novo Ano!

-t


No comments:

Post a Comment