Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014 already?!

Welcome to 2014! How was everyone’s new years eve? I hope you all celebrated (safely of course) in an exuberant fashion! As stated in earlier posts, I passed the time with Dona Julia and her family; we ate, danced, drank and were merry. Nothing will ever top spending time with good friends who have become like family. I am grateful everyday for her friendship and love.

Of course I couldn't show up empty handed, so I made a few different desserts to add to the already massive spread of food provided. Among the sweets that came out of my little kitchen, and dutch oven, were; apple pie, apple cake with a cinnamon sugar oat crumble top, snicker-doodles, and homemade banana jam filled crepes. Served at the feast was lots of delicious goat meat, turkey, chicken, and assorted side dishes. . . absolutely delicious. The boys joined me, as did Naira, so the four of us just had a nice time with the family. We decided not to go to the discothèque in town because of the massive line and crowds surrounding it. I really wanted to dance, and wasn't ready to end my night – but I don't really enjoy the local nightclub enough to put up with that many drunk people.  We ended the night at my house, passed out on various surfaces in the house, and I awoke to an empty house! Everyone had risen early and returned to their respective homes.
 (banana jam) (crepes) (apple pie)

So far 2014 hasn't been much different than 2013 – I’m on holiday break until today, work resumes tomorrow. Back to the “grind” haha! What a joke. My 5 hour work days. . . .but it’ll be good to have a bit of a purpose again here, rather than spending so much time with the neighbors, wandering to the lagoon or watching movies on my computer.

No big projects on the horizon just yet, but hopefully after this week I will have some sort of game plan for the next 6 months of my life here in Mozambique. Stay tuned.

Yep . . . that's it. 6 months - technically 7, but the months of June and July almost don't count. I say that because June will be so full of going away parties, including my own, and July is the month that people actually start leaving. It is pure madness thinking that this is the downward slope of my Peace Corps service – with the entrance of the new year, I though about the year that had passed, a full year of life in Mozambique, how normal life here has become, the friendships that have become family, the silly personal jokes that I have with local friends, and how great my group (the 18ers) are.

I should be hearing word from graduate school programs at the end of this month through mid-February. Hopefully that decision will provide me with a bit more personal foresight into life after Peace Corps.

Until then I have some great project ideas for work and am looking forward to getting back to my normal routine/work schedule. Tomorrow I will head to the hospital to chat with my supervisor about what our game plan is, including Acomuza in this years project through the hospital! Exciting stuff.
On a personal level, my Get Fit program is still ongoing, though it did take a small sabbatical during the holiday season – I am back to my daily workouts in the morning, when it is the coolest outside, and trying to eat right. Unfortunately these past two days I have been hit by some of the worst digestive pains/issues that I have seen in all my time here in Mozambique. This being said, I have been somewhat reluctant to leave my property for fear of being too far out of reach from my pit latrine. . .ahhh the beauty of life in Africa….. so today was spent hydrating, and watching movies from the comfort of my bed.

Next “homemaker” goal is to – hopefully by the end of the week, have a hammock constructed out of capulana fabric and some wooden poles that I can find in town. I would have liked to put it on my front veranda, but I do love having company over to sit out there so I will have to select a spot in my front yard that will suffice.

Another thing that 2014 will bring, more visitors from home! My aunt who served in Peace Corps in the 90’s in Kenya will be visiting in March, and my younger brother in May! It will be so incredible to have them here, especially now that I have a firmer grasp on life here in this crazy country – I can show them, and explain things a bit better than when my mom was here, and even from when my dad was here.

Well . . . I had no intention for this to be a blog post of “resolutions” but it seems to be something of the sort. Oh well, New Year, fresh start – new adventures and things to look forward to. 2014 will be a year of big changes for me, and I’m excited to share them with you all!

(my newest dress creation at the seamstress)
Xoxo
t

No comments:

Post a Comment