Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Friday, December 20, 2013

a few days late

(this blog was written last week.. sorry!)

Good Morning!
I apologize for the lack of posts recently, its not that I’ve been incredibly busy, its that there isn’t much to report from here in Moz.
At home I’m sure everyone is decking out their houses for the respective holidays, enjoying time with friends and family, being cold and miserable about the snow (don't! I would love to see snow) – have a hot chocolate for me! Here, its getting to be very very hot, and the rainy season is almost upon us. I woke this morning to veryyy dark clouds, Mom- you remember what it was like here in rainy season – everything shuts down when it's a downpour, my house floods a bit, and everyone just hangs at their houses. So that's what I’m doing this morning, I have some coffee in my french press, some oatmeal on the stove, and Lua sleeping at my feet. Not a bad Friday morning if you ask me.
Sooo . . . to recap what has been going on here in Quissico – the biggest event happened last week Friday – I received two Peace Corps sitemates! Yayy! They are two great guys who will be teaching at the local secondary school. Their house is about a half hour walk from mine, which is nice because I can keep my own identity here with my friends/family, but still have the option of going for an afternoon beer with friends. Their house is supahhhhh nice, cement, lots of space, great open windows for the light, a beautiful kitchen etc. makes my house look like the little grass shack that it is haha! But I wouldn't trade my little casa for anything else. This is perfect for me – I cant believe I’m going to have to say goodbye at some point.
Now that December has hit, many people have gone off for the holiday, work has stopped at ACOMUZA and Despertai until January 6th, and next week is the last week for CCS at the hospital. But honestly, there isn’t much for me to do there right now, so this weekend I have some travel plans! I have two great friends that live in the northern part of Inhambane Province, in the towns of Mabote, and Nova Mabone. These places are probably 10 or more hours from Qissico. -Literally from the bottom of the province to the top. My two friends always pass through my site, and have stayed with me numerous times, and yet I have never returned the favor, so this weekend – I’m going to the MATU! They both live off the EN1 in these small communities out in the bush. I’m looking forward to spending time with them, seeing their houses, and their communities. Speaking of. . . I should probably pack haha! I’m going to sleep the night in Maxixe at a friends house, 2 hours north of me, because her organization has a car going to the northern part of Inhambane, and I plan to be in it. The neighbors have agreed to feed Lua while I am gone so I’m not concerned about her.
Last weekend I showed the boys and Naira the lagoon, we packed some snacks, Kevin brought his lacrosse sticks, we had music . . .what more is there to ask for? The remainder of the weekend was chill, I tried to help out the boys, showing them where to find things in town, helping them set up their house etc. .  And now it is Friday already?! This week passed by rather quickly . . I wonder if time will start passing even faster now. I have between 6 and 7 months left in my contract. Wild.
December is going to be filled with this travel, and then something nice for Christmas. New years eve I will be here at site with Tia Julia and family, like last year. Looking forward to her excellent cooking, and just hanging out with great friends. What does everyone else have planned for the holidays? I’d love to know!

Your friend in Moz - tay

2 comments:

  1. We've switched dinner from Christmas Eve to Christmas Day. Dave is flying in from Seattle and he won't get in 'til about 6 on the 24th. Dianne and Ansel will both be gone by then, but Guy threatens to show up.
    Will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it'll be a great time at dinner, wish I could be there to see everyone, but know that I send my love!
    ... be careful of that Guy, he's a sneaky one!

    xo

    ReplyDelete