Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Friday, February 21, 2014

feast or famine

Hey there, hi there, ho there-
Just thought I would write a quick update about what’s going on with me, your friendly pen pal in Mozambique. Life has been a combination of incredible stress/being busy and an insane amount of boredom/doldrums.  Its either feast or famine here, there is hardly ever a middle ground.
The week started off dull and listless. Monday and Tuesday I only left my house to take a walk through the market and chat a bit with Dona Julia, my supervisor and organization at the hospital were in another town for the week, leaving me with little to do. On Wednesday, I waited around for the water to start running in town, so I could refill my big drum in my house… unfortunately the water gods were not smiling upon my small town that day, and I was waiting in vain. I missed my meeting with Acomuza because of this, but was told that not much happened at the meeting, so I don't feel all that bad.

Thursday finally found me doing something- bright and early at the hospital for our Cha Positivo meeting (support group for those living HIV+ in the community). Because my supervisor and counterpart were in a different town for the week, I got to run the meeting- and decided to give a small workshop about the plant Moringa. I have talked a great deal about this “wonderplant” here on my blog – but I will say it again… this plant is truly astounding. The amount of vitamins and nutrients it offers are fantastic. I have planted a few trees in my yard, and enjoy the benefits of it on a daily basis. During this small information session, I had photos, seeds of the plant to pass out to those in attendance, and an example of the plant itself. We discussed the methods of cultivation, how to make it into powder, the fact that you can eat the leaves raw, etc.

It was an incredibly good feeling to be able to talk to 40+ people about this plant, I had someone translating into the local language of Chopi the entire time to ensure maximum retention. We even had a Q and A session afterwards. People were digging the Moringa! Woo!

Like I said… feast or famine.

Today I am in Maxixe, preparing for the REDES Regional Planning Meeting that will be held tomorrow. A lot of time and effort has gone int planning this meeting – contacting all PCV’s in the area, their counterparts, organizing the budget, supplies, a space for the meeting, food for the participants etc. . .my fingers are crossed that everything goes smoothly tomorrow, and that the meeting is a success.

I’ll be here all weekend for the meeting, going to go over to Inhambane City after it on Saturday to have dinner and drinks with friends. Looking forward to it!

Next week my Aunt Sara will be here, she is currently in South Africa, enjoying the sights and sounds of that beautiful country. I’m excited to have a viasitor, slightly saddened by the fact that we cant get to the northern part of the country because of the STUPID travel ban, because of STUPID political issues.. sighhh…. Oh well, it will still be a nice visit.

Turned in my deposit to the University of Pittsburgh. Welcome weekend starts the 20th of August!

Hope all is well stateside.

Xoxo

t

No comments:

Post a Comment