Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Monday, March 10, 2014

there and back again!

Hello all! Writing this blog beachside at Tofo Beach! Jealous?? You should be!

So my aunt Sara's visit is in full swing at the moment, hence my lack of blogging as of late. She and her friend Lisa arrived on the first of March, via the Intercape bus from South Africa. They had been traveling all through that lovely country about a week before arriving in Mozambique. We spent the night in Maputo, to get up very early in the morning and travel up to a beach in Gaza province- Bilene. One of my personal favorite spots in the southern Mozambique area.

The travel was not bad, Sara had all sorts of memories from her service rush back to her as we crammed into a very hot chapa (the only way to get to the beach on a Sunday unfortunately) and traveled the last 30 minute leg of the journey smashed between our new best friends. Arriving at the beach, a bit worse for wear, we unloaded and went to our lovely lagoon front houses. Sara's friend, unaccustomed to the pace of life and travel in this country brought me back to just how integrated and used to things here I have become. Fortunately we had a lovely evening at Bilene, and a nice slow morning.

Unfortunately, we didn't have much time, as Lisa had to make a flight back to the states on the 4th, so back to Maputo it was. We were able to hitchhike down to the city, and once within the city limits take a tuk-tuk to the backpacker. Lisa elected to stay in a nicer hotel, so we checked her into there, and then hung out for a bit, eventually getting dinner at a local spot in the capital city.

The next morning it was back to the Junta bus stop for Sara and I. Fortunately we didn't wait too long for the bus to leave (only 2 hours, which by Africa time is not that long at all), and the trip to site was quick and painless. Once we arrived in Quissico, we walked to my house and just hung out until the heat of the day passed and we were able to walk into town. Drinks by the overlook with my sitemates, and a nice dinner of market food .... couldnt beat it!

We spent the next 3 days at site (wed, thurs, fri) doing a mixture of things- my community organization meetings, a stop at the hospital, a REDES meeting, and then a google hangout for the REDES leadership. On Friday we took the entire day to make a lagoon trip. It was a fantastic day spent in the sun and clear, calm water. Sara was wrapped up in capulana's and a big floppy hat to protect her from the sun, while the rest of us just enjoyed the vitamin d.

On Saturday we hitchhiked up to Tofo Beach, it was an easy day of travel, and we arrived to the lovely Turtle Cove backpacker. I have stayed there a few times, and took Dad there (he loved it) it is a bit far from town, maybe like a 10/15 min walk, so its not exactly 'beach front'. We spent a night there, and while it was lovely, it wasn't exactly what we were looking for. Sooooooo.... we upgraded.

We are now staying at Casa na Praia, right on the beach at Tofo, our room (more like a honeymoon suite) opens directly onto the beach..... not a hard life.

This place is seriously ruining me for accommodations here. It is absolutely beautiful, the people are super friendly, and we are in love with it. Sooo.... of course we decided to stay an extra night haha.

Tomorrow we will wander back to Quissico, and eventually back south so Sara can catch her plane on the 18th... but until then, I'm going to hang here with my toes in the sand.

big x and o from the both of us.

t & s

1 comment:

  1. Hi Taylor love from Tanzania CAN I HAVE YOUR Email ID, i WANT TO SHARE SOMETHING WITH YOU MINE IS emmysmusicandentertainment@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete