Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Monday, March 24, 2014

back at site

Hello all-
Yes I know that it has been quite a while since I posted a blog, and for that, I am sorry. Last we talked I was in Tofo with my aunt. . . that was the best weekend. We lived it up in a nicer spot right on the beach, had great food, hung out with my friends, and enjoyed the sun, sand and surf.

The remainder of her vacation in Mozambique was split between time at my site, going back to Bilene beach in Gaza Province, and then two nights in Maputo. It was a great time spent together, hanging out just the two of us, and then with some other PCV’s. I couldn't have asked for a better person to visit, miss you already.

The end of our trip was spent in Maputo so she could catch her airplane out, seemed to be a pretty easy plan, go spend 48 hours there, get her to the airport, and head back to site. But then life in Mozambique happened. . . .  my eye had been bothering me for a day, itchy, red and a bit irritated. I had the Peace Corps medical officer take a look at it and she decided that it was infected enough to go to a specialized eye clinic. Add a day to my stay in Maputo.

After the first consult, I was given some sterilizing eye drops, and was told to wait a day or two to see if the infection cleared up. . add another day to my stay in Maputo. Sadly the drops did not work, and my infection seemed to be getting worse, so I was sent back to the doctor a day early and had a full workup done. My eye was dilated; I was given all sorts of medication, drops, creams etc. and the best part- a huge eye patch. It was epically hideous. All sorts of white gauze and tape everywhere, it didn't look anything like an eye patch, more like I had lived through a war and had shrapnel removed from my face. Stunning.

Anyway, the story has a happy ending- the medications I was given seem to be working, so I was allowed to return to site yesterday. After spending an unexpected week in Maputo, I have never been happier to return to my little reed house. I have 2 weeks of the medications, and then a month wearing my glasses (yuck). But I’ll do whatever I have to, to keep my eyes healthy.

So the biggest news I have is this; once again, I am considering extending my contract with Peace Corps for a third year. (pause for reaction)

The position in consideration, located in Quelimane- Zambezia Province, is sort of a double placement; a PCVL (peace corps volunteer leader) and the other half would be a placement with the provincial health department (DPS) which is partnered with the CDC. In theory the position with the DPS would have me working directly with a health team, moving around to different hospitals and health centers to introduce and start the GAAC program. The PCVL position would more or less be a liaison between the Peace Corps staff and Volunteers themselves. I would participate in site development, site visits, various trainings etc.  In theory, it sounds like an amazing opportunity. I would have the chance to explore a whole new part of the country, I would be living in a bigger city so I would have more creature comforts than I do now, and it sounds like a very interesting job description. IN THEORY.

I have been making pro and con lists all week about staying. . . some big pros are the ones I listed before, a chance to see a new part of this country, an amazing opportunity for networking, skills acquisition with this PCVL position etc. but there are also some massive con’s. . . there is a gigantic potential for no work, or being in a position where people just don't know what to do with me.

What about grad school you say? Well, I have sent away for information about potential deferral for a year, and it appears that I can do just that- defer for one year without repercussions. I would also be able to COS (close of service) with enough time to get back and start school in the fall of 2015.

In all honesty I have been leaning towards staying, I mean, why not?! If grad school will be there when I’m done, what is the harm in hanging out one more year? I would be able to come home for 30 days, so I am thinking holidays this year so I can maximize time with friends/family while everyone is around for the holiday season. And after that it would just be 6 months or so until I leave. I say this all, and then come to work this morning and am greeted with a sharp dose of reality. . . I walk into the CCS office at the hospital at 8am, just like I told my counterpart I would to be told to go and wait somewhere for 30+ minutes while the “team” has a meeting. Just like I was told two weeks ago that I wasn't needed in the field because the “team” was going. . . correct me if I’m wrong, but should I not be part of this “team”? Isn’t that what I’m doing here?

Job descriptions may look awesome on paper…. Reality of the situation, they aren’t all that wonderful.


Lua is in heat again, so while I am at the hospital she is locked inside my house. As she was all last night. . . while 6 huge dogs  prowled around my yard, fighting one another, barking and growling like crazy. Sigh…. The problems of owning a female dog in Africa. I just don't want to see her go through pregnancy again; I really think she is just too small of a dog to handle it. Also, that wasn't a fun thing for me to experience, and I’m going to do everything I can to prevent it from happening again.

So while yesterday I was around 86% sure that I wanted to stay, today I’m like 71%.... reality of life. It's a back and forth thing every day. Sometimes during the day.

Suggestions on what I should do are welcome.

xoxo

t

No comments:

Post a Comment