Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

start.pause.continue.

Blog started; Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Salutations-
Well after a very busy and productive weekend, I am back to reality here in Quissico. . . I don't know exactly why CCS wont include me in their planning’s/activities but they just WONT! Frustrations at an all-new high.

I came to work at the hospital yesterday, on time, bright eyed and ready to get crack-a-lackin’ only to find that our office had been commandeered by the head doctor of CCS. She was conducting individual interviews/meetings with each team member, not allowing anyone else in the office. So my counterpart Joao and I wandered around the hospital finding random rooms to work in. After about 2 hours of this, we were finally allowed back into the office. No sooner had I set down my stuff and opened my computer to start work, she asked me to step out into the hall to wait while they have a meeting. This has been happening on a daily basis as of the past few weeks. I have expressed my frustrations to both the CCS team (involve meee! I am here to be a part of this team/help where I can) and to Peace Corps. I get receptive feedback from both, and it all seems to be going well… until it happens again.

After sitting in the hall outside of the office for about an hour yesterday I finally decided to pack it in. I gathered my things, and went to have lunch with a friend. I spent my afternoon working from home and watching episodes of Lost (my latest tv show obsession).

Blog continued; Wednesday, April 16, 2014
Sorry about that, I was skyping with Angela, the volunteer that I replaced here in Quissico, and was able to include a few of our Peer Educators. Seeing their reactions, made me so happy, and we were all able to talk for about 20 minutes or so.

No one ever showed up to the office yesterday, and now that I am back here again today, after my meeting with Acomuza, no one is here yet again. Tomorrow is our Cha Positivo day here, and we have nothing prepared, no one has told me if I am giving a workshop or anything. . .it’ll be an interesting day. Being out of the loop at times has its advantages (ignorance being bliss, and all that) but when it comes to these types of things, it is just frustrating and slightly disheartening.

Oh well… live and let be.

Some funny stories from my recent travels to and from Maputo; on the way down there, I was hitchhiking with this man coming from Inhambane City, we got to talking about health, and how important it is to do HIV tests here. So, he decided to stop and do one during our journey! Now, as awesome as this is, I was not expecting us to take a turn off of the main road and drive about 20 minutes into a random little town out in the bush! We got there, and you could instantly tell that many of these people have never seen a white person. It was very funny, and mostly very awkward, but at the end of it all, I was able to encourage one more person in this country to get HIV tested. Overall, a win.
During this trip there was a massive rain storm, which usually isn’t an issue, except when you are sitting in the back of a truck, and have your computer with you. WOMP WOMP WOMP. So I had to abandon ship, and took refuge at a fellow PCV’s house while I waited out the storm. Luckily I was able to catch a ride soon after the storm passed, and I didn't have any issues the rest of the way.

This week has been a normal one on all accounts, nothing really to report, just work per normal, hanging out with Tia Julia and family, and of course my good buddy Lua. Doing a bit of meditation and reflection about some things, and anticipating the new journeys that I am about to embark upon.

Pictures; my latest favorite dish to make – sesame peanut veggie noodles. Ingredients; ginger, garlic, onion in sesame oil, add in peanut butter and some water, raw shelled peanuts, eggplant, couve (like a spinach) and some green oinions. Simmer down and then add in the glass noodles. YUM.


The Lua-girl, so fresh and so clean after a bath. Sitting pretty for mom!


xoxo
t



No comments:

Post a Comment