Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

par for the course? or boredom?


Why the hell am I still here in Mozambique?

It’s a question I have been asking myself as of recently, more and more. I do not love it as much as I should, or as much as I did the first two years. A lot of it has to do with moving sites, seeing my friends leave, and all that shit. Living in the big city now means that I am just one of the masses- another face in the crowd. And because my face is a white one, and I am a woman, and I am working with an I-NGO sooo many people expect me to have money. Including my co-workers! When I try and explain that no, I do not receive a salary – I get eye rolls and the standard tongue-click of disbelief, and then the numerous questions start to flow, well if you don’t have money, how did you buy the tea you are drinking? If you don’t have money, how did you buy the fancy clothes you wear? You may not be receiving a salary now, but when you go back to your country, you’ll have money waiting for you there, and you’ll get a salary for your work here, right?

Sigh…

It is very hard to explain my life to people here in the city. When I tell them about the conditions I lived in before in Quissico, again, many do not believe me - while others begin a long list of questions about how I survived in these conditions etc. When I state that I had visitors to this house, people become shocked and almost dismayed- how could you let people experience those horrid conditions?? At this point, I generally get fed up, and want to yell at them ‘I want to go back to that house and life!!’. At least there, being the foreigner meant that people knew me, and knew my story, and I was enveloped in a sense of community.

This past week has been somewhat productive work-wise. I have been eating healthy, doing a mini-workout every night. . but a life without music, media, or company is a truly boring one. I get up in the morning, shove a banana or two in my face, put my coffee or tea in my travel mug, and hop a bike taxi to work. I am at work from 7ish until whenever my day ends. Sometimes it is over at 3pm, others it’s not over until the fat lady sings. I don’t have a specific job description yet, because no one is giving me the goddamn time of day.

I am finding work to do, trying to stay busy. My supervisor is happy with the progress I have made thus far. . . so I guess that’s a good thing.

I just think I expected more.  More from my coworkers, more of a game plan, more organization within a work day, more involvement in the planning of things…. Rather than just ‘show up for work and find out whats happening in my life today’…. Annoying.

I like Quelimane enough… it has all of the necessary things someone may need. Good fruits and veggies, lots of shops to get whatever I need for my house etc… but there are still the same frustrations of living in a third world country. . . people don’t show up on time for appointments, house repairs  on a budget, being dependent on a third party to get things done, constantly being upcharged in the market for produce, the stares and cat calls I get just walking down the street (mind you, I can be in a dirty, three day old t shirt, hair in a bun, glasses on and still get these, simply because my skin color stands out) etc… the list goes on.

And now that my computer charger has shit the bed, I have difficulty getting work done in the evenings; I have no way of getting music, or watching media on a weekend when there really isn’t anything to do, and there are only so many times I can go walk around the town to pass the time. Especially in the heat here …. Ugh Quelimane is fucking HOT.

Alright. That’s enough venting from me. It’s the same shit, just a different day. Tomorrow will be better. Or it won’t be. Either way, I’m here.

No comments:

Post a Comment