Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

where is home?

Good Morning!

A very good friend sent me this link from a Ted Talks transcript from back in July. It discusses the question “where do you come from”/”where is home” . . . I find it to be so spot-on and true in some of the descriptions and feel that I can really relate to it.

“Movement was only as good as the sense of stillness that you could bring to it to put it into perspective”


“And it's only by stepping out of your life and the world that you can see what you most deeply care about and find a home.”

My time here in Mozambique has given me more time alone with my own thoughts than I ever have had in my life before. I have had the profound experiences of feeling so low that getting out of bed seemed like an impossible task, and the feelings of absolute happiness. I am so incredibly fortunate to have had this experience. While there are days where I complain about it (more often than not these days) I know that I am growing and learning as an individual here more than I ever could have had I remained in the same place.

My life movement, being a modern-day vagabond (if you will) has allowed me an introspective look about what ‘home’ really is to me. It is not the actual structure, it is the people and memories that offer me support and love no matter where I am in the world.

So for all of you at ‘home’ be it in Pittsburgh, various locations in the United States, here in Moz, or in other fantastic countries – I would just like to say how much I appreciate you.

Have a fantastic Tuesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment