Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Monday, October 6, 2014

still on the struggle bus

Well. Its October. . .
The leaves should be changing colors at home, that crisp feel to the air, spiced apple cider, going to pumpkin patch, and Halloween celebrations . . . here in Mozambique, its just starting to get hotter.

I miss the changing of seasons. Here its just hot, or hotter. Not too much of a variation. Sure there are seasonal crops and such – but that's basically when different tropical fruits are edible and when they aren’t. I suppose its not all that bad, many people dream of climates like this, and hate the cold – maybe its because I was born and raised in Western PA, where there are very distinct seasonal changes, that I miss it. Even the freezing cold snow and ice… which, I will see. The two month countdown has started . . . get your requests in now for any nick-nacks or Christmas presents from Mozambique that you would like.

Unfortunately this will not be a positive blog post. . .yet again.

 I am still finding it to be a struggle to be in Quelimane. . . yes, I am making my house homier, and am starting to enjoy it more (or maybe I’ve just gotten used to it), but work continues to be a struggle. Last week, I went to the ICAP office every day, from 7am until around 3:30pm. I tried to be included in meetings, events and such, but it is data collection time, meaning my coworkers are all very focused on their excel spreadsheets, and getting the data into New York. . . This leaves me to sit here. Day in and day out, trying to find things to do.

I participated in a few conference calls with Peace Corps staff in Maputo that would have been productive, unfortunately the connection was terrible, and it became more of a hassle to try and keep me connected- and we eventually just ended the call.

I sent off the final draft for the GAAC Toolkit that we’ve been working on, waiting for review and feedback. . . sent a bunch of emails for other work topics, reached out to some new PCV’s to see how their integration is going. . .and surfed the web. Needless to say, it was a long and stupid week.

Trying in vain to meet with people from the DPS (provincial department of health) who I am supposed to be partnered with. Waiting for feedback from my proposed project ideas to ICAP (the I-NGO I am partnered with), and now, waiting for feedback from the GAAC Toolkit.

I am busy for maybe an hour out of my day, sending and responding to emails. . and then I sit here in an office.

I miss Tia Julia. At least when I didn't have work in Quissico, I could go an sit with her for hours on end, watching the towns movements, and chatting with a good friend. Ive tried to get to know my neighbors, to no avail. . . they just aren’t interested. I’ve made some friends that I do yoga with in the evenings. . however I don't always attend our classes because I don't feel safe walking around the city at night.

I am currently dealing with a lot of inter-personal drama with friends, and family. So I’m finding that a good outlet has been yoga and drawing.  I had some fellow PCV’s over this past weekend, which was nice in some respects, and incredibly annoying in others. Let me state for the record, that I truly enjoy cooking for people, I enjoy having people around my house, hanging out, going out on the town etc. HOWEVER – when people ‘forget’ to chip in for the costs of things, it stops being enjoyable and becomes annoying. There is more to this, but that's all I feel like saying for now.
Wah, wah, wah.
Poor me.

Sorry again for the negative tone in the blog. Just the way things are right now.
I have decided that if I am still unhappy by the time I come home for leave, I will just stay stateside, work for a while and save up money for graduate school (which is also something that I am reconsidering).

If anyone has suggestions, job opportunities, thoughts about graduate school etc. . . I am open for suggestions/guidance.

Thanks

t


No comments:

Post a Comment