Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Friday, April 10, 2015

love and memories

Do you ever get overwhelmed with a smell that instantly takes you back to a moment in your life? I had one this morning that left me with an immense smile on my face. 

It's a rainy morning here in Quelimane, which means its humid, but a bit cooler than normal (read, I’m wearing long sleeves and shorts rather than a tank top).  I ran outside quickly this AM to buy some phone credit and enjoyed some of the cool rain on my face as I greeted my normal credit vendor with a still-half-asleep smile. Thinking longingly about the coffee in my French press waiting for me upstairs. Taking the steps two at a time back up to my apartment I opened the door and was hit was the wonderful aroma of steeping coffee, rain, and a cool breeze from the veranda. The smells combined instantly took me back to weekends at The Cabin with my family and our close family friends. So many summer and early fall weekends were spent there, running amok in the woods, playing in the creek, building campfires, swinging in the hammock under the trees, and always the smell of coffee in the morning to go along with our eggs and pancakes.

It was one of those moments that I was instantly transported to a carefree time of natural beauty and loving relationships. Hence. . .the big smile on my face.

So as I sip my coffee this morning – I hope that you all take a moment to think of a happy memory.



Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you know they are always there






No comments:

Post a Comment