Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Friday, July 10, 2015

numbers.


6/25/2015 – Independence Day in Mozambique
40 – years of Mozambican independence from Portugal
7/4/2015 – Independence Day in the USA
239 – years of independence for the USA

12 – unused capulanas I plan on bringing home
86 – books read during my stint in Mozambique
1,117 – days I have been in Mozambique
27 – days remaining in country
17 – days until my birthday
26 – my age, at this upcoming birthday

2 – bags that I brought with me to Mozambique
5 – volunteers from my group who extended their contract for the third year
18 – my PC Moz group number

11 – provinces in Moz
11 – provinces I have visited
128 – districts in Mozambique
68 – districts I have visited
3 or 4 – hours it takes to travel to my closest PC neighbor
25 – hours overland to Maputo from Quelimane
3 – places I have lived in Mozambique – Namaacha, Quissico, Quelimane

1 - successful yoga retreat on Ilha de Mocambique
7 – participants in the retreat
16 – hours it took in total to travel back to my house from the retreat
1 - letter of acceptance I received from the Masters International Track at Pitt
2 – applications to Peace Corps submitted, the most recent, in June of 2015 for a second potential service

That's right kids. . .I applied for Peace Corps. Again. I was officially accepted to the Masters International Track at Pitt, allowing me to continue my study in the Behavioral and Community Health Sciences concentration, but also allowing me to incorporate a second Peace Corps service into my education. Peace Corps seems to be the best way to really connect with a community, and know what it is like to live within a different culture. If I were to do a second service, my preference of country and program would be the Community Health program in Ecuador, giving me a chance to explore a new country, and immerse myself in an incredibly diverse and rich culture.

I’m still awaiting official word from Peace Corps regarding my acceptance and potential placement, but that's the most recent news from this end.


No comments:

Post a Comment