Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Friday, June 1, 2012

Good evening! (well it is evening here in Moz) approx 6:45pm

Today was an eventful one! Lots of information given at the Peace Corps HQ, some shots, lunch, a medical evaluation, and a language interview. . . Learning the language is going to be an interesting experience, one that I am looking forward to with slight trepidation, but with confidence that I will pick it up without too much struggle.

So! My last post about my assumed flight schedule was totally wrong! haha joke's on me!

We did leave the hotel at 2am, to drive to JFK (a 2hour journey) to arrive at the airport around 4ish, all well and dandy, we missed any traffic and were VERY early for check-in. So we napped on the floor of an airport until 7:30 when the desk opened. . . Did I mention our flight didnt depart until 11:30? In essence it was a true example of what is to come in these next two years haha. The flight was wonderful, I had set my watch to Moz time as soon as I boarded, and tried to eat/sleep according to the local time here. Easier said than done, but a Tylenol PM helps in a pinch. The food was good, and it was a very smooth 17 hour flight (non-stop) to Jo-berg South Africa.

International transfer went well, we had arrived at 730am(ish) and our flight did not depart for Maputo until 1:50. So yet another day of lounging around. Did some exploring in the airport, met some nice people, had a coffee (blah blah blah)

Flight to Maputo was wonderful, again, no problems there. Getting through customs was a breeze, and all 31 PCV's had their luggage come through without a problem! No locks broken, nothing missing. .. Almost unheard of from what people have said.

ok.. so here's where things get funny- we were told that someone would be waiting at the airport for us outside of baggage claim/customs. . . .nope. not the case.

We decided to wait about 30min or so, just in case they were running late or something. No one showed up, so we called Carl the country director, and thank goodness we did! They werent expecting us until today!! Crisis averted though, and we all made it to the compound next to the PC headquarters where we will be until Sunday morning.

This is where we are briefed on what to expect, safety and security etc, given more shots, malaria meds (I was prescribed doxy), our language exam etc.

Tomorrow morning we drop our 2year bag off, to see after our 10week training. So my evening, after dinner with everyone, will be spent re-packing bags in accordance to what i will need for 3 months vs the 2 year stay.

We were given our medical kit today, chock full of wonderful stuff that I didnt even think to pack haha! The only thing I am regretting is not getting a watch that is a bit more durable, as mine is a "dressier" one. Eh. . .live and learn.

The group I am with is beyond fantastic. Some truly intelligent people. I know I will learn a lot from said persons, and can only hope to gain understanding and compassion for this beautiful country.

There is so much more that I wish to write, however I am running late for dinner- so I will say Boa Noite! (goodnight)


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an adventure is just beginning. Love to you. xxoo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you are off and running! With problems that you can handle, and many adventures ahead! I'm so proud of you. Love and kisses, and looking forward to the next post. Oma

    ReplyDelete