Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Today's blog - a lesson on "how to take a shower"and many other valuable suggestions for homestay.

one of the most basic ideas and concepts in the states. . . .a rapid deviation of what happens here in Moz.

But I digress.

Today started off with handing over one of my bags to the PC for storage during the PST (pre-service training). Then a lovely breakfast of fruit, yogurt and toast (instant coffee unfortunately).

Afterwards we went to the conference room here at the compound where we had a programming session and introduction to some of the various health projects that we would be participating in. That was all very informative and helpful. We met (again) the PCMO staff, peace corps medical office, and had some helpful medical information. IE; what to do in an emergency, what constitutes an emergency, basic scenarios and how to handle them, what is all provided for us in our medical kit, how to take our malaria medicine etc. Lots of information given in a quick amount of time. I am really happy that I have a small background in health safety from lifeguarding and parents that have used various homeopathic remedies throughout my life. (thank you mom and dad) We also learned about water treatment, which is something we will have to do everyday in order to drink water and cook. We will have a water filter at each of our homes which we will keep and use throughout the 2 year service.

Then a small break for lunch (yum) and back to the conference room for more information. (exhausting)

This session was a basic overview of what to expect during PST. What to expect in the first 5 weeks; intensive language training, with a slightly reduced emphasis on technical training. Whereas the last 4-5 weeks will be mostly focused on technical training and a slight emphasis on language.

After that, there was an orientation to our homestay. . . both informative and somewhat reassuring, while at the same time hilarious. We discussed everything from how to greet people (handshakes, kisses etc), to the fact that it is your responsibility to wash your own underwear when it is laundry day. We discussed showering, eating, using the bathroom (for girls we had a special session about feminine hygiene) and had some great laughs about it all.

Tonight we are celebrating a fellow volunteers birthday, maybe going for a swim at the pool here at the compound.

Tomorrow we have breakfast and then head off to Namaacha to meet our host families! From what I am reading, I have a mom (52) a dad (54) and two younger sisters (18 & 16). I am really really looking forward to having these people change my life, and I theirs!

"Go in search of people, begin with what they know, build on what they have, and when the task is done, the people will say 'we have built it ourselves'"

The next post may be a while. . . stay tuned for some funny adventures with the family!

2 comments:

  1. Girlie,
    Love you miss you,
    Have a fun day in Mozambique,
    Learn Something new,
    Be a good girl!
    XOXOXOXOX
    ..the dad..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you TD! I'm so happy to hear that your bright and bubbly self has already made friends and is enjoying everything! Your host family is lucky to have you :-)

    ReplyDelete