Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Monday, June 25, 2012


Written June 24, 2012
Posted sometime soon.

Greetings all- I am writing this by candle light tonight! No more electricity in the house soooo we are all walking around with candles. Its actually kind of nice. I have no candle holders, so am making due with one coconut shell as a holder, and the other candle has been sort of wax glued to the one table next to my filter. A combination of the two allows for a soft glow to caress my room this evening. Its actually quite lovely.

As today is Sunday, we had no classes, and it was a day dedicated to exercise and domestic chores. Not nearly as many as last week, but I did wash all my clothes from the week (a process that took about an hour and a half) swept my room, cleaned my room, remade my bed (fixing the mosquito net) and a general sprucing-up of the house here.

This morning, some friends and I took a nice long hike to the waterfalls again. Its really a great way to start off a Sunday. The weather was nice, sunny and a bit windy, but the wind was a welcome thing, as we were hiking a long way. Its about an hour walk from my house, down into the valley area. The waterfalls aren’t anything truly spectacular, but they are pretty, and the setting is nice to just unwind from the prior week, and spend time with friends. We are thinking about having a cookout there for the 4th of July.

Moz’s day of independence is tomorrow! So I am very excited to see what the celebrations are. I have been told that Namaacha’s day of celebration is another time. Soooo I am really not sure if there will be a massive party tomorrow or not. Stay tuned. . . .

I was trying to explain the 4th of July to my family here, and I think it just led to some confusion. Maybe the idea wasn’t put across well enough with my broken Portuguese,  or maybe they just didn’t understand that the entire nation celebrates in a big way, who knows haha. I did my best.

So after the waterfalls, I came back to eat lunch, read my book in the sunshine for a bit, do my laundry, and then jogged over to the field for our weekly soccer game. Always a good time. Although this time, I seem to have injured my foot more. Not really sure what I did to it in the first place, but the outside of my left foot, under my ankle is super tender, a bit swollen, and hurts to walk sometimes. I think I’m going to have the med team look at it this week after one of our sessions.

So yep, that was my day, a hike to the waterfalls, lunch, cleaning, washing clothes, playing soccer, taking my bath, cooking dinner, and then hanging out with the family here for a bit attempting to talk, but then the babies started crying, and I said goodnight haha.

Just sitting around now, hoping to get a call from Dad. If anyone would like to get in touch, the information about my phone number is 82 710 8641. To call me, you must first dial the US country code, then Moz’s country code, and then my number. . I think that’s how it works. I could be incorrect. Someone google it, or talk to my Aunt Sara. She knows these important things.

Tomorrow is independence day, so no classes. Tuesday the US Ambassador is coming to visit, so we all have to ‘look our best’ hahaha! I haven’t had an actual shower, or shampooed/conditioned my hair at the same time for almost a month now. Yep that’s the truth. I pick and choose days to wash my hair, and other days to condition it. I just don’t have enough water in my bucket to make that happen. Gone are the days of water pressure, or a showerhead haha. Ive come to accept that my appearance is going to be lacking in a big way these next few years. I did however, manage to wear my contacts a few times here. A nice change from the everyday glasses wearing. I have yet to really do make-up though, just some mascara here and there when I wear my contacts. I don’t really have anyone to impress, and honestly my looks aren’t going to help me learn the language any faster. Truth.

Wow, this blog post is kind of boring. Im sorry to all of those who are reading it haha. Weekends aren’t really anything spectacular here, there is a lot of down time, and we all try to get together to play a game, or get in some exercise. But seeing as many of us have to be home for dinner around 7ish, the nights are cut short. There isn’t really any reason to go out after dinnertime, because we are already clean, its dark out, and most shops/places are closed. That’s the biggest difference for me. The lack of really anything to do/places to go in the evening timeframe.

Could you imagine if you had to be inside and just about ready for bed around 8pm? I haven’t done that since I was maybe 10 years old. But, silver lining of this is that I have time to kick back and relax a bit from my day, do a bit of yoga before bed, some abs if I’m feelin frisky. I get to write to all you fine folks, and have been an avid reader on my kindle every night. Book suggestions are welcome! Im currently engrossed in “the fever” and my guilty pleasure before bed is the “50 shades of grey” trilogy. Guilty as charged. I fell to the man, and purchased the trilogy before leaving the states.

Alright. . . its 8pm. Im staring at my phone. Willing it to ring. Comeeeeeonnnn pop’s, lookin for a bit of normal American conversation here.

I bid all of you a candle-lit farewell, and urge you to try going a night using only candles. Its comforting. And slightly romantic.

Well. . . as romantic as it gets here in Namaacha I suppose.

big hug and kiss
td

No comments:

Post a Comment