Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Monday, December 10, 2012

aspirations, limitations, and a lagoon


Written December 9, 2012

I’ve been taking time to think about how incredible fortunate I am here in Mozambique. I have all of the necessary tangible commodities someone could ever need, a great dog (even if he is a bit undisciplined), I live in a beautiful location, and have had the opportunity to meet some truly wonderful people: PCV’s, JICA voluneers, host country nationals, South Africans etc. I’m a pretty lucky girl.

The week passed by without any major going-on’s. . . I have decided to set little projects or goals each week for myself. Be it something making something for my house, learning a new verb tense (my language is good, but could be much better) cooking a new dish or discovering something new in the market.

For example – this past week my goal was to get a “ralador” something that I use to shave coconut into fine pieces. I can then use warm water with the shaved coconut to make “coconut milk” and from there the cooking possibilities are endless. I also had a table/cooking stand type combination made. I am currently working with a large blue plastic table, that while is ok and does its job, is ugly and too big for my small living room. So I designed a smaller one that I can put in the corner, that has a set of shelves underneath it, also allowing me to dispose of a plastic stand that I have in my house as well. . . not a huge fan of things that are plastic. I’d like to eventually get a smaller table to sit and eat at. But for now, I’ll continue eating on my front porch, overlooking Quissico and these beautiful sunsets.

I had an absolutely wonderful weekend. Saturday was Sota’s ‘despedida’ (going away party). I arrived at his house early in the morning to help prepare some things for the food, we did shopping in the market, and I did some prep-work for the party. Mid-morning a good friend showed up in Quissico, he had wanted to check out what my life was like, so we went exploring through the market (that took about a ½ hour because town is so small) and went to the overlook of the lagoon. Beautiful day – beautiful view. Around that time I received a phone call from another volunteer from my group (I digress, both of these volunteers are from my group Moz 18) who had just arrived in Quissico as well! So we explored a bit more, went to my home, hung out a bit on the porch, trying to beat the heat. Eventually we took our respective bucket baths, and headed back to Sota’s house to commence the festivities.

Every despedida I have been to is the same. Same food, same music, same general flow of the party. Which got me to thinking (and was a topic of discussion with my fellow PCV’s all weekend) just how trapped people are here in their own minds. It is all well and good to have routines, and be comfortable in your life, but never wanting more, never thinking to want more – that desire to explore and learn- so many people here don’t have. If anyone ever had anything besides feijoada (bean stew) xima, and chicken at their going away party, people would have a hissy fit.

Walking down to the lagoon today with my friends we were discussing this, how close-minded people can be here when it comes to things like food, travel, people from other cultures etc. The ability to think about the future, plan, have hopes/dreams is in very short supply here. We were playing “what would you do with one million dollars/how much would your life change” on the walk down, each person had a very interesting response – but when we stopped to ask a local woman who was walking back to her house, she coulnt come up with a response. She just kept saying that she lived over the hill with her two daughters, and was going home to cook. Poverty doesn’t necessarily have to be a situation of tangible value, in my opinion poverty of the mind is where everything stems from. Lack of education, or educational resources, creates the lack of drive, motivation and freethinking. People here expect to be given things, international development companies don’t help either. Rolling in with their fancy cars, giving money and things to people. GIVING. Such a good word in so many ways, yet it can hinder and even cripple entire countries. Not teaching that to get something, you need to put forth an effort first.

Being asked for things here in town is a common place, everyday thing for me. Something I have gotten very used to. At first it annoyed me, then it saddened me, now it almost infuriates me  - why should I give you anything of mine? Why should I give you the mango in my hand, when I can teach you how to plant a mango tree, and then you could have mango’s for the rest of your life. It was the same idea last week with my organization and making our monthly calendar. Yes – I am here to help, but I am not here to do this work for you. I know how to make a calendar, I know that when I say “see you next Thursday at 9am” that I should show up next Thursday at 9am. I have that ability to pre-plan, and think into the future. It’s hard to help people who don’t want to help themselves, but are expected to be given things.

AND yet on the other hand, people here are so giving and generous. On the walk down to the lagoon today, some woman invited us into her yard, offered us about 8 mango’s and 4 unripe coconuts (you crack it open and drink the water inside – so good). Total stranger, but because we said hello, and she had these things, she offered them to us.

Ugh. Sometimes it all becomes too much to think about. The dichotomy of it all.

So I spent the day at the lagoon with my friends, a great day of interesting and stimulating conversation, jokes, swimming and sunshine. Reminding myself that yet again, it’s the little things in life.

Just finished reading Eat, Pray, Love. An excellent book that I recommend to all. I loved the author’s form of writing, often finding myself laughing out loud. I think a yoga retreat in India would be a cool thing to do after COS (close of service). I’d like to see so much more of this world, and would like to return back to school a well. Good thing I have my entire life ahead of me!

And again, with those few sentences there – I have thought about my future, the possibilities I have and will make for myself. Where people here can’t even fathom traveling up to the next province. And so it goes. . . 

Hugs and kisses all – your barefoot friend in Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment