Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Monday, December 31, 2012

feliz novo ano!


Written December 31, 2012

Happy New Years Eve from Quissico!

Written from my small living room – I’m cooking banana bread in a dutch-oven set up, drinking REAL coffee, and waiting for mom to wake up. That’s right. My mom is in my house. And I’m drinking REAL coffee. My mind is blown.

It has been so surreal to me to have her here. I’m trying my best to be informative without being overwhelming, show her things in small doses without things being too alarming. . . . I think I failed day one when I put her on a bus to come to Quissico. In typical Mozambique fashion, the bus took about an hour to pack up and leave, and then it stopped about 3 or 4 times before actually leaving the big city. Along the road we were traveling at a comfortable speed (unlike some break-neck speeds I’ve experienced) but made stops in just about every town. It was hot, crowded, and Mom obviously doesn’t speak the language. . . so I can only imagine what she was going through.

I try to put myself back in a mindset about what things were like for me here when I first started service, how anxious and scared I was, how overwhelming things were. Now I’m just jaded. The chapa ride sucked, but it wasn’t the end of the world for me, I would just pull my baseball cap down a little further and sleep. Its all part of life here. There is no reliable transport in this country, one of the things I had to come to terms with.

So yesterday I dragged mom all over Quissico. We went into the town itself, I showed her the one road of shops, and the other road of the open air market. We made some purchases, I introduced her to all of my produce ladies in the market (they LOVED her), mom bought a capulana, and some flip-flops for showering and that was that. I took her into the shop where my good friends are – I think you remember me mentioning Dona Julia in a previous blog? They were really excited to meet her, and I spent the next few hours translating back and forth, while we sipped on a 7Up. Something cold and sweet to beat the heat.

Came back home, where I did some things around the house, and mom took a nap on the grass mat. The baby (my dog) has taken to Grandma right away, and proceeded to nap on the mat with her. I took a picture. It was adorable.

Speaking of, they are both passed out right now. Mom over in my bed, and Ceu on the floor underneath. Too cute.

In the afternoon, we walked around a bit more, and I showed her where my old house was – when I was living with ACOMUZA. We checked out the overlook of the lagoon, and had a glass of wine while the sun was setting.

Came home to make some dinner – coconut beans and rice YUM. We watched a movie, and called it a night.

No big plans for the day today, making banana bread, maybe doing some landry, showing mom around a bit more – then the NYE party tonight!! I’m really looking forward to it, I think mom is a little anxious because of the language barrier, but everyone is very excited to have her here.

Quick story before I leave you- last night, after my bath right before I started cooking, my neighbor Amina came up to the house to check in on Mom. She wanted to know how the first day went, if she was ok, upset, sick etc. . . The thoughtfulness of this gesture was so heartwarming. I’m lucky to live here in Quissico with such wonderful neighbors and friends.

Happy New Year

Your friend (and her mom) in Moz

No comments:

Post a Comment