Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Friday, December 28, 2012

first christmas in mozambique, and a visit from my mom!


Written Friday, December 28, 2012

MY MOM IS IN AFRICAAA!!!!!! This is wild! Totally and completely insane. I keep thinking that this is just some strange thing- like a freak apparition or something. But NO! she is actually here! Jet lagged and everything haha.

Let me digress though – Merry Christmas to everyone, I hope the holiday season finds everyone safe and healthy, enjoying family time and all that the holidays bring. I spent my Christmas at Tofo Beach – one of the worlds top vacation spots (not to shabby right?). I left site on Sunday morning with some fellow volunteers who had stayed the night with me. We stayed in Inhambane City at a fellow Volunteers house Sunday night, and enjoyed everything the city has to offer.

The next morning we all headed to the beach! We stayed in Tofo Backpackers – a nice location right on the beach, cheap dorm room beds, friendly staff, and lots of fun. We had 20some people with us on the trip, so there was always a group around town, at the beach, or at the hostel. I took a surfing lesson, laid on the beach, spent all day in the water, and just totally enjoyed myself. It’s a tough life here I tell ya.

We had great cooks with us (some fellow volunteers) so we all ate really well this trip. The one night we did a huge set of appetizers – like hard boiled eggs, bruschetta, mango salsa, latkes, etc. and of cours e there was lots of alcohol involved. It was a holiday with a bunch of Americans after all. Tuesday it was the same thing, we went out surfing early in the morning, went back for breakfast (french toast, banana bread, apple sauce etc) then went back to the beach. I did a bit of exploring in the town that day (had to pull myself away from the ocean) but I’m glad I did, I talked with some really nice people, had an ice cream cone, and just enjoyed the laid back vibe of a beach town. Being at this amazing place made me forget that I live in a “third world country”.  I often forget that I do. . .well that’s a lie. I suppose it is hard to explain what I mean. I have all the necessities, I live in a BEAUTIFUL place, I can travel, I have no complaints for the most part.

So then on Wed I headed back to site (a travel day that was a bit rough) spent a quick afternoon there preparing for mom’s visit – did laundry, took the dog for a walk, cleaned a bit etc. Then Thursday bright and early I was on the side of the road trying to catch a boliea (hitchhike/free ride).  I finally caught one that took me to Macia (about 3 hours south of my site) but then they realized that I wasn’t planning on paying – although I was very upfront about it, they kicked me out of the car haha. So there I was stranded on the side of the road, in the pouring down rain, luckily a nice semi-truck driver took pity on me, and gave me a lift into Maptuo. I caught a chapa to my hostel here, and checked in. A fellow volunteer’s friend had just arrived in town, and his baggage was lost, so he needed a place to stay, so I helped him out a bit, got him a bed here at the hostel and we met up with some people for dinner right down the road.

I then hopped a taxi to the airport to meet mom – only to get there, wait 20 or so minutes, and get a phone call saying “missed my plane!”. So I returned to the hostel alone (sad face) – but had a really nice night here. The best part of hostels are the different clientele that they get. I sat and chatted with 3 people from South Africa, another PCV from Malawi, and another American who is living in Lesotho. Really cool group of people, interesting conversation, just an overall good time.

Oh and did I mention the running water here? Loving it.

So this morning, I took a walk up to the Peace Corps office, took care of some business there, chatted with my supervisors etc (all great people) and then caught a taxi off to the airport one more time. This time I was successful!! MY MOM IS IN MOZAMBIQUE! Madness. Pure and utter madness.

Took the taxi back to the hostel, we had a mini-christmas right there in our dorm room:

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE GIFTS!!!!!

I cannot even BEGIN to express how incredible you all are. Mom just kept pulling things out of her bag saying “oh this is from _____, this is from _______” my mind was BLOWN.  I will say it again

THANK YOU.

To know that I am that loved, that so many people were thinking about me over the holidays, that you all went out of your way to purchase me gifts is beyond thoughtful. If the postal system here was a bit more functional I would send each and everyone of you a personalized thank you note. So I am sorry that is a general blog post “thanks” but please know that I am very very very very thankful for everything.

So after we unpacked, and then re-packed everything into a more ‘moz’ travel friendly set-up, we went exploring through Maptuo. I gotta hand it to my mom, missing a connecting flight, having to spend the night in Johannesburg, to then get into a totally foreign country (did I mention it was seriously hot today too?) and let me drag her around this big, noisy, dirty city. . . . the woman is a trooper.

But we went up to the craft market, she got a nice wallet, and a cool purse, and we scoped out some really cool craft things. If anyone wants something, let me or her know! I would be HAPPY to send you all things back with her. . .the international Sherpa haha. So we wandered for a bit, I took her to one of my favorite local watering holes (I had a beer, she an orange fanta) then we headed back to the hostel. Which is where I am currently writing this blog post. She is taking a nap. . .not going to let her sleep too long (I know she is jet-lagged, but it’ll help to get on Moz time). We are going to grab some dinner tonight, thai food I think, then hit the hay early. Tomorrow is going to be another “experience” for her.

We have to take a bus up north to my site (Quissico) . . .about a 5 or 6 hour trip in a hot, smelly beat up greyhound type bus. God. This woman is a trooper. Hat’s off to her.

My mother is in Africa. Wild.

Merry Christmas to everyone, and a very Happy New Year.

Big hug and kiss from your perspiring friend in the big city of Maputo.

t

No comments:

Post a Comment