Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Coming up on one year!!

So its coming up on a year here in country. . . Where is the time going? I have learned so much in this past year, and have had life-changing experiences, but am definitely glad I still have another year (if not two) here in Mozambique.

My computer is being taken back to the States by some vol's in my group heading home for a visit (thanks guys!) And hopefully my dad can bring it back with him in June. Not having workout video's and or music (iPod was stolen in January) has put a serious damper on my workouts. I am trying to stay motivated, but finding it hard. I miss gyms, pilates and yoga classes etc. Eh. Third world problems.

Last week, I found myself on what I'm classifying as a 'mozambique date'. For the record, here at site I constantly tell people I have a boyfriend or husband, to avoid being harassed about my personal life. But nevertheless I found myself being set up on a 'date' by Dona Julia. That wiley minx. We (my 'date' and I) went to the overlook of the lagoon, and had a beer or two, and just chatted. Very nice guy, smart, college educated (rare to find in Quissico) has traveled abroad and lived in other countries (even rarer) so we were able to discuss a variety of topics. But still, I don't think I would ever want anything more with this man than friendship, and help with my Portuguese.

We all say it when we get here “I’m not dating a Mozambican”. We say it after all the terrifying health talks in PST about the rampant rates of STDs and HIV, after Alfredo(our safety/security director) tells us that having a pop with a Mozambican male is the equivalent of going out on a date in the States- what does that mean for me and my beers the other night? Or the daily experiences of how most men will tell you they’re not married, when their wedding ring is with their spare change in their back pocket, and that’s only for the men who take it off in the first place.

Through PST and the first few months at site, we stand strong in our conviction that we’re here for ourselves, to grow on our own, and that we’ll have a liberating 27 months of self discovery.

That’s a real cute thought there menina. Turns out you can have all the self discovery you need within the first 11 months. Around this time you begin to get a little lonely and bored with your newly empowered self, rock on girl power, but it’s time to shave your armpits, and stop spending every night with your dog.

Its an interesting way of life here. Oftentimes I am very uncomfortable with this attention, and I find that I have become even more awkward in social settings than I was before. -is that possible? Although I am  a "local celebrity" here, I still have yet to become comfortable with this, yes I like being greeted by people here in town, it makes me feel like I am an actual part of it, but in the personal sense, it does get old to be greeted, and then instantaneously asked for your phone number, and or if you have a boyfriend. Like, easy there pal, do you even know my name??

When at a night club a few weeks back, I was dancing with a man who confessed his undying love to me. I asked him if he even knew my last name...
- love doesn't have a last name
What a line.

Did I mention this man's wife just had her second baby last weekend??

I have lost all hope in men in this country.

Work-wise, everything is moving along. My moringa garden project at the hospital is taking off, we are doing a big plant on saturday morning. At Acomuza we are presenting our project we designed at PDM conference this wednesday for everyone in the org, hopefully it will manifest soon. And with Despertai... Well, we have a meeting on Thursday - let's see if it actually happens, and how many people show up.
REDES continues to go well, I have two groups, a younger group of girls that meets in the mornings on T/Th, and an older group that meets in the afternoons. We have been focusing on different topics; gender discrimination, different types of verbal communication, puberty, etc. So far, so good. Hopefully we can start getting into our income-generation projects soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment