Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Friday, May 24, 2013

The tooth fairy exists!


Hello all! Its been a while- for that I'm sorry, I've been 'busy' haha.

So some things that have happened lately; the hospital workers in Mozambique have gone on strike. For lack of proper compensation, the workers (technico's, medico's and enfermera's) have all gone on strike, therefore the hospital is not really open. This is an issue. A BIG issue. The health care system here is faulty enough, with lack of patient return, lack of medications and technology etc. But when the actual system comes to a screeching halt, and people have no way of getting medication or treatment, including those with HIV who need their ARV meds?? Come onnnn!!

Frustrating does not even begin to cover it.

I was in Maxixe this past weekend for a seminar about Malaria- learned a lot about how to approach people about the disease while out in the field doing home based visits. Was interesting and helped shed some light on how we can communicate with the people in our community.

Of course, since I was that close to Tofo I couldn't not go.. So I spent a sunday-funday in the sun, sand and waves. No complaints from me!! I arrived back to site Monday morning, and spent the day cleaning my house, and hanging my new mosquito net! Its a pretty blue color, and I have decided (upon entering into the blue cube the first time) that I feel like I'm in an underwater cave - and often find myself singing Little Mermaid songs.
-not sure if I should have admitted that out loud ... But there it is haha!

In other news, my work with the two REDES groups here continues to go well as does my work with my community orgs. In June I will be traveling with dad for about 2 weeks, and in July I am heading down to PST to meet the new group of health volunteers! We are already at Moz 20! Wow!  The 16er's will be COS'ing (close of service) soon, and the 20ers will take many of their places.

Some shorts from around town;
-sitting in the shop of my good friend/second family, their grandson recently lost a tooth, I started explaining how in America we have a 'tooth fairy' and how children receive toys or monetary compensation for the lost tooth. . . Turns out- the tooth fairy exists in Mozambique too!! Hahaha wild.

-hanging out with my neighbors after a quick visit from my Peace Corps supervisors, I was passing out the insaneeee amount of condoms we get in every medical package. Since (sadly) I'm not using them, I figure my neighbors could benefit from my lack of activity. They were stoked!! Chique american-brand condoms?? Yes please! Even my one neighbor who we always joke prefers 'carne ao carne' (meat to meat) said she will use them. As a health volunteer, I sat there and silently gave myself a  *pat on the back!*

I suppose that'll be all for now. 18 days until dad arrives!!
Oh- I was able to skype this past weekend with a few people from home; Dave, Auntie and Nick- it was SO GOOD to see your faces and chat with you all. Words can't explain how nice it is to talk to 'yinz'

Until next time!!
-t

No comments:

Post a Comment