Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Happy Tuesday!

Happy tuesday morning from Quissico!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend- I know I did.

So I explained in my last blog the work that happened last week with Malaria, my workshops, the skit, etc. It was a great productive week and I felt like a 'good volunteer' haha.

Friday I did a bunch of productive things around the house, cleaned, did laundry/folded clothes, baked some banana bread, made homemade guac (my farewell to avocado season) and baked tortilla chips. It was a really good, really productive day just at home by myself- I needed it after having been traveling/busy all week.

Saturday I found myself heading down to the lagoon with a friend from town. She's a dentist at the hospital, and an incredibly intelligent and funny woman. I feel very lucky to have her in my life here. It makes a huge difference when you can have discussions and conversations that are actually intellectual, not just about food/babies.
It was a truly lovely day at the lagoon. Sun, sand, a picnic lunch, and some tunes. What more could one ask for?

Sunday I had a lazy start to my day, worked out, had some banana bread and coffee while I read my book (now on book 3 of game of thrones).  That afternoon I went to my friends house, the one who I went to the lagoon with, to help her with a Fulbright Scholarship application. She wants to go for her master's degree for Dental Health/oral hygiene in the states somewhere. Again, it was a nice afternoon/evening spent with a friend- helping her hopefully achieve this dream. It feels good to help the 'go-getters'. She is a driven woman who is so focused on doing good for her country... Sheesh man. Words can't even describe how amazing she is.

Yesterday I didn't have much work, kinda bopped around town a bit, checked in with my CBO's and went back to my friends house to finish final revisions on the application. Sota stopped by on his way back to Maputo, so it was a quick hello/goodbye type of situation, but great to see him nevertheless. Last evening I had dinner with my friend, as she said it was her way of saying 'thank you' for my help. Again, I didn't feel like I was going out of my way at all to help, I was happy to do so.

We had a delicious dinner of white wine braised pork, rice, I made a small fresh salad and coffee cake for dessert. Again, it was a great time of good conversation, good food, and time spent creating a great new friendship.

I have some meetings lined up for the week, REDES stuff, some project development with my one CBO, and a monthly general meeting with my other one. Staying busy!

Just over a month until Dad's visit!! We have a basic outline of our trip, and its shaping up to be a really fun time.

Xoxo
T

No comments:

Post a Comment