Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Brother Comes to Mozambique

Good Morning Everyone!
Well, well, well. . . it has been a crazy few weeks, and it will continue to be an equally as hectic time until I finally move up to Quelimane. 

Ansel’s visit has come and gone. It is amazing how 2 weeks can just FLY by. One minute I was picking him up at the airport (ok, it was more like I body-tackled him with excitement) and the next I was putting him on the bus to Maputo so he could catch his plane!

together after almost 2 years!

I met him without problem on the 11th of May, unfortunately his bag didn't make his connecting flight – so we spent an impromptu night in Maputo with one of my friends. It was a lovely night filled with delicious food, and pleasant conversation. I think it was good for him to start getting on Mozambique time, and it gave him an opportunity to meet some of my friends and see a bit of the city.

The next morning we went back to the airport where his bag was waiting for us, and we were able to get it with little problem. From there we took a taxi out to the city limits, and hitchhiked north to Macia. In Macia we stayed with some of my good friends- and it gave Ansel a chance to see a bit of a town in the Gaza Province, and to see how PCV’s have fun! We did a ‘barraca’ hop- which means we went to 4 different ‘bars’ and had beers at each one. Playing card games, pool, and just joking around with friends. . . couldn't ask for a better way to spend a Monday Funday.

The next day we worked our way to Quissico, where we had a nice dinner with the boys, and took it easy for the evening. From the 13th until the 21st we were at my site here. Here he was able to; meet my neighbor-family, meet Tia Julia and her family, see how my community organization holds meetings, go to the lagoon, eat delicious food (matapa, feijao, couve, chicken etc)- and even took a day trip adventure with my sitemate Kevin to Xai Xai (a big city in the Gaza province) while I was stuck at the hospital all day.

From site, we went north to Inhambane City where we stayed with another PCV friend, and were able to go to Tofo Beach during the day, and see a bit of the city by night. On the morning of Friday the 23rd, I put him on the 4am bus from Inhambane City to Maputo, where my PCV friend hosted him for the evening, because I had to go to Homoine for the REDES Workshop, and unfortunately I could not accompany him to the airport.

ahh... the chapa's in mozambique. lovely memories

All in all, a very simple but still, quite a lovely visit. I hope that he enjoyed his time here, as much as I enjoyed having him here. I am very thankful for all of the PCV’s that put us up during our travels… I couldn't ask for better friends!

He made it safely back to DC, where my mom picked him up and they drove back to Pittsburgh.

Miss you already buddy!

-xoxo, sis

No comments:

Post a Comment