Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Thursday, May 8, 2014

REDES, COS and BO pt. 2

So… COS conference. Close of Service. A time for all the volunteers in my group to get together one last time, recap our service, talk about our successes/failures, reminisce a bit about how far we have come, start thinking about life in America, and have a chance to say one final goodbye.

Its strange that it happens about 90 days before our actual leave dates, but I suppose that's logistically the better way to do things. During our conference we talked a lot about the logistics of getting back home; plane tickets, reestablishment allowances, career services etc …. All very helpful for those who are actually going home. (to be clear, I will not have another COS conference, this was it for me – I just have to remember all of this information for another year hah).

We were put up in one of the nicest hotels in Maputo, which was AWESOME! After a week of staying at Base Backpackers (not a bad place) and then a weekend at an ex-pat’s house (USAid worker) it was like the cherry on a sundae to stay at the place we did. It was a beautiful spot, located at a great place in the city, accessible to many things, and the conference was held right there.

We had full days everyday, and were privy to many guest speakers- mainly RPCV’s (returned peace corps volunteers) who shared their experiences, how returning to the states was for them, and what they have been involved with since leaving their country of service. Again, all very interesting, and awesome- just doesn't really apply to me at this point in my service.

One of the best parts of the conference for me, was a visit from the CDC representative for the GAAC program (the work that I will be doing in my 3rd year in Quelimane). We had a great brainstorming session with all of the volunteers who have been involved with this program throughout our service. It was an information download for the CDC about what actually is happening in the field, and a mini-venting session for the PCV’s to express our frustrations and the numerous problems that arise with this well-meaning program.

We were able to get a basic form for the toolkit that I will be working on this next year, and we have started to compile information to help create it. The toolkit will be distributed to each hospital/health center that has ARV’s (antiretroviral treatment). It will hopefully be something implemented nationwide, with the help of volunteers, and their counterparts – to create a sustainable and lasting program for those who take HIV medications. This next year, you all will be hearing more about how its going. For now, just know that I am very excited about this possibility, and that the work has already started!

Of course, when you get Moz 18 together, you know that there will be some great times. Nights out at the karaoke bar, playing pool at the cheep beer spot, dancing our butts off at a live music venue – it was a great going away party every night.
Moz 18, enjoying some drinks at a nice spot!



During many of the sessions, I felt that they weren’t really applicable to me because they were all about reintegration into the United States, saying goodbye to our homes here etc. I would sit there and think “I am not leaving yet, so this doesn't really matter”… and then it hit me- though I am not leaving Mozambique, I AM leaving Quissico, my home here, my friends, and life as I know it here in Mozambique. I’m about to move to a big city, have an actual job/internship, and start my professional life. Life IS going to change for me. Just maybe not as drastically.

Some food for thought.


Last weekend was Beer Olympics at Tofo Beach! I’m not going to go into too much detail about what happened, but know that it was a great time. Health volunteers vs. Education volunteers here in the south. Health won (obviously) and it was a wonderful weekend of sun, surf, friends and beer. Health team- we can do this ALL DAY!
game faces? sadly mine is not as intimidating.

So my life has been busy since COS conference. I have returned to site on Sunday, and jumped right back into work, planning the REDES Workshop (May 24-25), getting work done for CCS, starting to work on this Toolkit for the GAAC program, and just everyday hustle and bustle here in Quissico. My brother gets in around 11am on Sunday the 11th, so this weekend I have to travel back to Maputo to get him (sighhhhh). But its all totally worth it to have him here.

Cant wait to toss him in the back of a truck, hitchhiking.



Its been a shocking and rather frustrating day – on my walk to the hospital this morning the small puppy that has sort of adopted Lua and I followed me the entire way, and right as I was entering the road to the hospital, he was run down by a car. His small body was just thrown clear across the road, landing right at my feet, and the car continued on its way. Shocking, terrifying, saddening, disgusting. Just a river of emotions tore through me at that moment. RIP little puppy, you were so cute and compeltely adored by both Lua and I. 

I walked into the hospital, very shaken at what I had just witnessed, unsure of what to do – only to find that the entire CCS team was gone, and that NO ONE LEFT ME THE KEYS to the office. Even though I specifically asked them to yesterday. I have lots of work to do. And cant really do it unless I’m in the office, with all of the documents, paperwork and materials. Frustrating. So. . . . I collected myself the best I could, and walked myself right over to Tia Julia’s shop. She immediately served me some tea, and I have been sitting here since, writing blog posts, and working on my other assignments from my computer, chatting with her now and then and just trying to calm myself from a rather traumatic morning. Sigh…. Life in Mozambique, never boring.

Well kids… I suppose that's all for now.
xo –
t


No comments:

Post a Comment