Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Thursday, January 15, 2015

tales from the road

International travel… an exciting journey to an exotic location. Or at least that's what one may think when they hear those words. The reality of the situation is another story entirely.

On the way to the states, I was originally planning on traveling to Maputo, from Quelimane on the 8th of December. . .after arriving at the airport at noon, anticipating a flight at 1pm, I discovered it had been delayed until 5pm. . .no issue, I had a good book with me, my phone, and there is a cafĂ© at the airport. So I settled in with my book, and a beer to pass the time. 4pm rolls around and I’m informed that the flight was pushed back to 9pm…. No point in going anywhere at this point, so I ordered myself some food, and went back to my book. Check-in at 8pm finds me at the counter, only to discover that my ticket, had not actually been purchased. DEEP SIGH. So. I went back to my locked up apartment, where the energy and water had been shut off for my trip home. . . and just laid in my bed.

Tuesday the 9th, I made my flight – barely – because the airplane actually arrived an hour early. . . but all is good. I made the flight, arrived in Maputo, and then went to the house of an ex-pat who was willing to host a PCV. We had a lovely dinner together, and I went to bed early, all prepped for my flight to the states the next day.

But of course, it wasn't that simple. . the next morning I awoke, showered and went out to the craft market to look at some potential gifts for friends/family. I returned to the house (mind you this is a beautiful house in the nice part of Maputo) to find that the guest bedroom was completely FLOODED. Apparently the shower faucet had detached from the wall, and flooded the bathroom and then the room. All was ship-shape before I left for the craft market, so I really don't know if it was something I did, or if it was just a freak accident after use of the shower. . .either way.  . this is why I can have nice things.

The flights to Pittsburgh were uneventful, some delays getting into Atlanta that made me miss my first connecting flight, but thankfully there was one that I could easily board right after getting through customs. All was well. I landed safely and was greeted by one of my best college friends. Couldn't have asked for a better homecoming.

The trip back . . . buckle up kids. This is a good one.

I left Pittsburgh on a day where it was 1 degree, bundled up, arriving at the airport. . . checked in, and checked my bag through to Maputo no issue (however they couldn't print out my boarding pass from Johannesburg to Maputo … not sure why) and made it through security no issue. Arrived in Atlanta to find that my flight had been delayed an hour or so, no issue, I got a smoothie and settled in with my book.

The flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg was uneventful, people beside me on each international flight were not interesting at all (such a shame, I love to chat), and I arrived in Joberg with about 30 minutes to make my connecting flight to Maputo. This is where shit hit the fan.

My bag was checked through to Maputo. But I didn't have a boarding pass …. And the desk in front of security was already closed for the evening. Fortunately a nice woman at South African Airlines took pity on me, and booked me for a flight an hour later. UNfortunately that meant I had to go through customs, collect my bag, pay the penalty fee for my ticket change, and get back through customs, check my bag, and get through security. . . .in one hour?? Ya ok.

Standing in line at customs, I watched the hands on my watch pass the hour mark. . .and then keep going. Finally making it through, I went to baggage claim. . of course my bag wasn't there. So I filed a claim, and went to the ticket sales counter. Paid my penalty fee for a flight the next morning, and tried to print out a boarding pass so I could get back through customs, and sleep in a safer part of the airport. . . no dice. That's when it all started hitting me. My bag was lost, I was stranded in a very unsafe airport/city, and had no means of communication with anyone.

I allowed myself to have a quick mini-meltdown in the bathroom… collected myself, and went back to the Delta desk to figure out a game plan. I found a cheaper guest house, that offered free transport to and from the airport, and checked myself in for the night. A hot shower, and a comfortable bed later, I was feeling a bit better. I was jet lagged and stressed, so sleep did not find me. . . but it was infinitely better than sitting alone in an unsafe airport at the check-in desk.

My flight to Maputo was ok, still didn't know where my bag was at that point, but Peace Corps granted me an evening in the capital city until my bag was found. Later the afternoon on Monday it arrived on a flight from Johannesburg. . . thankfully it had not been tampered with, and I was able to check in for my morning flight on Tuesday to Quelimane. That flight was only delayed two hours, which is a new record for shortest time spent in the airport. Arrived in Quelimane no issue. And have been settling back into my home here, getting things organized, sweeping up the dead cockroaches, getting the musty smell out of things, cleaning up the water that leaked into my house. Etc.
Unfortunately the northern part of Mozambique is totally disjointed right now, due to HEAVY rains. Roads are flooded out, bridges washed away etc. Some people have been trying to cross via ferry/canoe’s but those are capsizing. . . many volunteers were mid-return travel back to their sites after the holidays and have found themselves stranded at other sites. I have a volunteer with me right now, who can’t return to site until Peace Corps says so, because the road to his site is completely flooded out.

Every town north of me is without power or running water, so I am incredibly thankful/counting the minutes until it cuts out here.

Quelimane is flooded in some places, and I find that I have to wade around town, picking new routes to get to the places I need to.  I’m heading back to work on Monday, so just using these few days to settle back in, and get my house in order.


-tchau kiddos

No comments:

Post a Comment