Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Sunday, January 18, 2015

weekend update

One week down…. 29 more to go.
Rough estimate.

My official date for close of service (COS) is August 10, however I cannot be medically cleared until thurs/ fri of that week . . .so I will be looking for flights home probably the 14th or so. . . giving me just about a week to settle in and get ready for grad school.

In the meantime, I have been applying for a few scholarships, figuring out where I should live upon my return, and doing some hopeful planning for an adventure to Tanzania in April to potentially climb Kilimanjaro with a good friend from home!

The end of my week and weekend has found me back in my domesticated life, cooking up some truly delicious and healthy dishes, back to my yoga practice, wandering around town in truly sweltering temperatures, and dodging raindrops. Work you ask? HA! Just kidding. . . I sent out numerous emails upon my return, asking what has been going on, what sorts of projects have come into fruition since my departure, and how I can be of use in these coming months. . . I received one email in response that simply said “happy new year, and welcome back” ….. informative, no?

I’m going to stop by the ICAP office tomorrow morning to check in, and see whats been going on. I’m honestly not sure who is all back from holidays yet, and should know by now that work really doesn't start until the first few days of February. . but alas, I still have hope and some expectations haha.

I’m looking to get involved more with my Peace Corps Volunteer Leader position (PCVL) in the next few coming months. Helping with site identification, and development for incoming volunteers in the new health group. I’ve also sent a proposal to my supervisor about potentially playing a larger role with the pre-service training in Namaacha with the new volunteers starting in May. I’d like to get involved in the programming aspect of Peace Corps, assisting where I can, and being a peer support/resource for the new volunteers.
I’m attempting to find outlets to be productive these next few months before coming home, and realize that I really and truly do not want to be stuck in a dead-end position here in Quelimane that is not offering me any professional development, or allowing me to really do anything of use.

Because there have been such torrential downpours here in the north, I thought a safety update would be good for you all at home. The northern region of Moz has been affected by floods, which resulted from the heavy rains that were experienced in the past few weeks within the country. Many rivers have flooded, and bridges were destroyed because of this. One of the main bridges in Mocuba (about 3 hours north of my site) was broken by the floods, and many in this town have been left homeless… hopefully there will be a temporary metal bridge put in place to allow thoroughfare, however Cyclone Chedza has been detected in the Moz Channel, whih may further affect the central and northern regions of Moz with heavy rainfall in the coming days.

There have also been power outages in the entire northern part of the country due to the floods… the government says that the problem will hopefully be resolved within two to three weeks, but who knows. This situation has affected the communication system, banking systems, and commerce.

Various other bridges have been washed away, and some important roadways and railways have been flooded, therefore cutting the north in pieces. Thankfully all PCV’s have been accounted for, and are safe. As I write this, the rain continues to pound on my tin overhang that shelters my veranda. I wish I could say the rain cools things off. . .instead, it just causes extreme mugginess (is that a word) and things to become truly sticky. I am ever grateful to be on a second floor here in the north, and that I still have energy. 

Upcoming fun events – the weekend of valentines day is Carnival here in Quelimane! I have heard nothing but really fun things about this festival, and apparently Quelimane is called “pequeno brazil” … so that should be something to look forward to. I’ve put the cap of potential guests at 15 for my house, and have given numbers for local guest houses/hotels. Fingers crossed that the road situations improve, and that people are able to come and celebrate.

Now that I am settled back into my house, I am realizing that I forgot to purchase a few key things while in America. Blame it on being overwhelmed…. But I did. A day planner and some good spices (ie, basil, oregano) are on the top of the list of things I forgot. No big issues. . . hindsight is always 20/20 I suppose haha!

Anyway. Hope you are all surviving the cold temperatures, and are enjoying the snow!

Beijos-
t


No comments:

Post a Comment