Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Monday, July 22, 2013

back to where it started. . .

(this was written last saturday morning, july 13th)

Greetings from Namaacha! It has been a while since I've said that, hasnt it?

Almost a year has passed since I was in training here in this beautiful, yet very chilly, part of southern Mozambique called Namaacha. I can tell that many things have changed, including the HUB itself (our training center here). Permanent structures have been put up, new things installed and it seems to be a very streamlined system now. Way to go Peace Corps!

The trip south to Namaacha started at Jasmin's site in Inharrime. I had gone to spend one last night with her on Friday, we went to our usual chicken spot, had some laughs, shed some tears, and just enjoyed the last moments together in Inharrime. Seeing her house so empty, putting her suitcases in the car, watching her say goodbye to her dog. . .it was a lot to handle. I cant imagine that I will possibly be doing the same thing in a year's time. Maybe. . .as of now, I am seriously considering extending my contract for another year. Why not right? I like my work, I like this country, and its not like I have anything that I need to rush home for.

So we packed up the personal car our association let us use for the trip (winning!) and headed south, stopping at my house to grab my bag for the week, and to drop off a nice wicker chair that I bought from Jasmin. (I'm probably going to do a big rearrangement of my living room/kitchen/dining room space when I return.) Anyway. . we were on our way to Maputo. Of course we had to stop in Xai Xai to meet our driver's family, meaning we were also served lunch and pop. Not a bad deal! Unfortunately we were pressed for time upon our arrival in Maputo, as the chapa's for Namaacha stop running towards the later part of the afternoon. Luckily we were able to catch one that left almost immediately upon our boarding it. I loathe chapa's. Every fiber of my being just goes into a negative place when I am so squeezed, cramped, sweaty and just generally uncomfortable. Unfortunately it is the one of the only options of transport to Namaacha, so I had to suck it up and deal. Luckily it only took about two hours, and the Peace Corps driver met us in town to give us a boleia back to the HUB (training facility).

I was on my own here last night, a fellow 18'er is joining me for the week here for PST, so that shall be a lovely time! I took full advantage of having this nice little house to myself here, took a long bath (well, as long as a bucket bath takes), made some tea, put on my wool socks and leggings, and snuggled up in bed. The house here is very cute, and I am already liking the set-up for the week. I was fortunate enough to meet a few new volunteers last night, and from what I can tell the group seems to be very diverse. I am truly looking forward to meeting all of them.

Work wise, Wed, Thurs and Fri of last week were VERY BUSY. I am throwing together the REDES workshop that is to be held in Quissico the weekend after my return to site, then I have my mid-service conference in August, followed by the big Amizava Festival in my town. Sheesh!

Send me some good thoughts and some good vibes :) they are always appreciated.

Quick shout-out to my Mom; it was her birthday on the 12th of July. WOOOP! Happy Birthday Momma. Wish I could have been there to celebrate with you!

xoxox always

t

No comments:

Post a Comment