Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

emotion, perception, life

Emotion: a conscious mental reaction subjectively experienced as strong feeling usually directed toward a specific object and typically accompanied by physiological and behavioral changes in the body.

I would like to take a moment to try and explain the multitude of emotions that I have experienced here in Mozambique. I know in some of my blogs I have touched upon feeling lonely, angry, frustrated, anxious, happy, and sad. I do not know if I have expressed that all of these intense emotions can happen in a very short time span, leaving you so exhausted that you don't want to move from bed or care about a day just passing by.

To regress our time frame a bit, I left training in Namaacha in a great mood, the new volunteers are very ambitious and a have great motivation. Talking with them helped me realize how far I had come in a year, made me consider extending my contract, and left me so happy for this next year of unknown adventures. I came back to site in the midst of planning for this workshop. After the REDES workshop ended, there was such a feeling of relief that it was finally OVER. This overwhelming weekend that had me in such a panic state of stress the week leading up to it trying to get everything done. 

Within this week of feeling so stressed out, I also reached a state of panic that not everything would get done, combined with anger (the bakery man refused to sell me bread unless I dated him) at how ridiculous this culture can be. Knowing fully well, that no matter how hard we work to try and create something nice- someone will always have something negative to say.

The weekend passed leaving me more exhausted than before. All of the hard work was finally over, it was my birthday, lets celebrate! Celebration here, means a few close friends and some wine- which is actually how I prefer it. I prefer having one on one conversation, and spending time with people I truly care about. During this time, we had some very great talks about our work and about some things happening in our lives here –but I feel something was lacking. And I feel this way often when having conversations with PCV’s – nothing against us as conversationalists. . . its just that we live in a bubble here. There isn’t really any outside stimuli or culture besides Mozambique. In the states, you could go to a museum, a play, a poetry slam, the Rocky Horror Picture Show. . . anything really. Its all at your disposal- a range of cultural options to expand your mind. Here, we have our work, and our interpersonal drama/relationships. There is no discussing the latest news article, or how our favorite sports team is doing. So while the conversations are great, I feel it always is lacking something, or is never fully there.

So there we were, sipping wine, hanging out, just relaxing from the weekend. I was celebrating my 24th birthday, which brought to mind the crazy notion that the entire 23rd year of my life was spent in Africa. 22 wasn't the best of years for me, there were a lot of up’s and down’s and even more unknown going into Peace Corps. I remember turning 23 in training with my new volunteer friends. Sitting there, overlooking my lagoon I had to stop and think about how far I have come in this year. How many emotions I had run through, the good times, the very bad times, and all of the others in between- and the fact that I have experienced them, for the majority, on my own. Yes fellow PCV’s are always here to help and to talk to, and vice versa- but the majority of my experiences here are solitary. This past year has really taught me to be self-reliant, and to deal with the horde of emotions that accompany this life journey.

The final emotion that I would like to touch upon is that of uncertainty. Not knowing what is going to happen tomorrow, not knowing what news you may get from home (be it good or bad) that just reminds you that life moves on, even if you are not there. I oftentimes feel that I am missing out on my life, not being at home with my friends and family. This is a variation of homesickness, brought upon by big life changes that many of my friends are going through- and looking at it all through a computer screen, via a social media page or whatever. These alterations remind me of just how far away I am, how I am powerless to do anything to celebrate, comfort, or experience these joys and losses with the people in my life.
I am so very far away.

Know that I think of many of you often throughout my day, and wish that I could be at home with you, but at the same time, wish more than anything that you could come here and see how fantastically frustrating, how wonderfully absurd, how delightfully silly, this beautiful country is.

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment