Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Thursday, October 31, 2013

a shout out

some of you may know my best friend from birth- dave weiland. a fantastic man, who serves in the us navy, and is an avid runner. i got this email from him, and wanted to share! just another great person, trying to do some good in the world. think positive. do good. pass it on.

Family and Friends,

Two years ago, I committed myself to a new sport: running.  Along with this sport came the urge to do something greater than just go out and pound pavement.  I looked to my Aunt Nancy, who struggles day to day with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) as a way to fuel my endurance endeavor.  From my first race on, I decided that every mile would be dedicated and fueled by her endless spirit and passion for life.  As a tribute, I have "run to support MS" at over 20 races and events, attempting to raise funds and awareness for this affliction.

Today I am writing you regarding my effort to raise much needed funds for the National MS Society.  I have committed to running the 2014 Pittsburgh Marathon for the National MS Society and along with it, dedicated myself to raising $1000!  

For those of you who are unaware of what MS is, it is a chronic, often disabling disease that attacks the central nervous system (CNS), which is made up of the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves. Symptoms may be mild, such as numbness in the limbs, or severe, such as paralysis or loss of vision. MS can affect a person’s health in hundreds of ways.  Currently there are eight disease modifying treatments available; however, there are more promising therapies in development right now than at any other time in history. While there has been astounding progress, the ultimate goal is to find treatments that not only modify the disease, but stop it in its tracks. My Run to Stop MS fundraising will support the next generation of treatments!  

I ask you to please consider donating to my cause!  By clicking this link you can assist me in meeting my goal of $1000.  Please feel free to share this email with others (i.e. family, friends, co-workers); every dollar donated puts me one step closer to my goal of kicking some serious MS butt!

Because those with MS have issues with balance and walking, they can rarely run.  I have chosen to run in their stead, in their honor, and in their spirit. Your support means the world to me! With your generous donation, you will assist me in Running to Stop MS!  

With respect and love,

Dave Weiland



dave getting his run on!!

dave and aunt nancy




MISS AND LOVE YOU BOTH.

dave- i am so so proud of what you have done, what you are doing, and what you will do in the future.

xoxo all 

No comments:

Post a Comment