Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

thoughts from under my mosquito net

Hello everyone! I am safe and sound in my little grass shack here in Quissico, Mozambique. 

I arrived Saturday evening to the capital city of Maptuo, and then Sunday afternoon to my town of Quissico. Thankfully all of the flights were easy, I had very little trouble with my bags, my checked bag made it through the airports/security/theft without problem, and I have been able to give gifts to many people.

It was wonderful to be able to come home, to be with my mom and dad, help in small ways in his recovery, and just generally “be” with them and my brother. I was also able to spend time with other family members, my Oma and Opa came in a few times, and I was able to talk with them on the phone a bit, my Aunt Sara came to stay for a few days – her and I had a great time exploring the cheese counter at Penn Mac in the Strip District, and chatting about life in Peace Corps (she was a former volunteer in Kenya), my other set of grandparents came in for a lunch with the family, and many others. I was also able to see a number of good friends from college and my past life in the states. It was unreal seeing everyone.

That's the theme of this blog, how surreal huge changes can feel. I can remember quite clearly, the Monday before I went back to the states, “wow, its amazing how normal life here feels”…. Foreshadowing much? To then get a series of emails that had me on 5 different planes to get back to Pittsburgh, PA. It really hit me that I was going back to the steel town when I boarded the final plane from Paris to Pittsburgh, and everyone on board had some sort of Pittsburgh sports team jersey, logo, bag etc. . . turns out, many of the fans who traveled to London for the Steelers game the week before were heading home on this plane (having done the European circuit for about a week). I never thought I would have missed hearing “hey yinz guys!” so much.

As the plane landed, I took note of a scene I had totally forgotten about- Autumn! The leaves all changing colors, the brilliant yellows, reds, and oranges, mixed with the fading green, it was spectacular. My best friend was waiting for me at the airport, and my goodness, we could not have been more opposite. There she was in her business skirt suit, high heels and everything…. And then there was me – I had capulana pants, beaded sandals, and a billowy scarf on, hair in braids… could you guess which one of us just came back from Africa?

It was wild being in the passenger seat on the right side of the car, driving on the right side of the road, hot running water at my old apartment, a HOSPITAL! Wow… so the  hospital enough was to send me into a small internal panic attack. Its huge! I work in a hospital every day. . . and its maybe an 1/8th of the size? My hospital here is lucky if we have gauze pads, the hospital my dad was in had a specialized wing just for cardiac patients…. Yeah. America’s health system isn’t all that bad, people need to quit their complaining.

Seeing my dad in the hospital was tough. I don't know if it was from the travel exhaustion, the overwhelming fact that I was actually in Pittsburgh, or seeing him hooked up to tubes and whatnot. But I lost it when I saw him. And the worst part? I couldn't hug him because of the surgery that he had! I went almost two weeks at home without really being able to hug my dad – someone I had just literally jumped on (from a running start) in June in the Johannesburg airport.
            -side note, going through that airport was a mind trip because the last time I was there, was with him, and he was perfectly healthy. It was at that moment, that I became so thankful that this all happened when he was in the states, and not here in Mozambique.

So the first few days were really intense in America, lots of unexpected culture shock, and I think the thing that freaked me out the most was how NORMAL things felt. The first time I drove, it was wild. My body just knew exactly what I was doing, while mentally I was freaking the fuck out. I remembered how to speak fluent English, I knew exactly how to unload a dishwasher, etc. (I know those are weird examples) but yeah, things I hadn’t done in over a year just came back like no time had passed. Which freaked me out. My life is so different from stuff here, how can this feel normal?! Grocery stores, going down to the Strip District, and the fact that everyone always had change when I was purchasing things, WILD. I bought some fruit the one morning, and hande the woman a twenty dollar bill, immediately apologizing I didn't have something smaller, and began looking for small change – she looked at me with the strangest contemplation, and opened a cash register that was chock full of change! Who knew…

It was so great seeing friends and family, eating great food, taking advantage of hot running water etc. . .but it didn't feel right. No matter how much I was enjoying myself, there was always a small thought in the back of my head saying “this isn’t home” and its true, my life, my work, my home is here in Mozambique.

But now that I’m back, things here feel surreal as well. I wasn't gone that long, it was an equal amount of time to that of my northern adventure the month before, but because of the drastic culture change (from couches and cable, to pit latrines and speaking Portuguese) I felt a bit off my first day here. In my mind I was freaking out “wow, I know how to speak Portuguese”, when I got home, it was strange how NORMAL all of it felt. And the whole while I’m just thinking “when will something feel right?!”….

I’m now in my second full day here in Quissico, yesterday I walked all around town, went to all my orgs, called people to tell them I was back etc…. today is pouring down rain, so I’m taking the opportunity to write this post, study for the GRE’s, and hang out with my neighbors. I brought back lots of crayons and colored pencils, so we are just going to color until our hearts are content! Yay!


Its always the little things.



No comments:

Post a Comment