Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Written Monday, October 1, 2012

Happy October everyone! I can’t believe its already fall at home. . . when I left, it was just starting to warm up for summertime. . . I want everyone to drink some apple cider, wear flannel, enjoy the changing leaves, and have a pumpkin flavored beer. . . some of my favorite things about falltime that I’m not going to see for a while.

Another week starting here in Moz. . . going to head to the hospital today, out in the campu tomorrow, wed and thurs I have meetings with my orgs, and Friday probably back to the hospital. . that’s probably how my weeks are going to go here.

I’m debating about this what to do this weekend. . . some friends are going to a near-by beach (about 2 hours away) and it would be nice to see them, for it has been a long time. But on the other hand, Angela leaves on Sunday, I’d like to be around to see her off, and then start moving into my real house. The debate inside my mind continues.

This weekend was Angela’s Despedida (going away party), so Friday after my meeting with ICAP at the hospital, Sota and I started preparing things for it. We had the help of some Moz women for the cooking on Saturday, and made feijao, chicken curry, rice, this cole-slaw type stuff, and a potato-like salad that I don’t like because its smothered in mayonnaise. Gross. All the cooking was done Saturday morning, and the festa started around 1pm, people showed up, had some pop ate some food, said goodbye to Angela. . . it was nice, we had some great times dancing that night, and woke up with a bit of a hangover. But that happens.

Talking with the family last night was really nice. . . if some of you don’t know by now – my dad, after 20 some years FINALLY cut his hair. I leave town, and the whole world turns upside-down, I tell ya what man. Madness.

Things continue to go on about the norm here. . . I wish I had more to report, but last week not too much happened that I haven’t already said, and this weekend was a blur of party planning, and hanging out with friends. Its going to be very sad to see Angela go. It’s really interesting, this overlapping experience of volunteers. . . she is in a very different place than I am. I’m still trying to figure out how to say complete complex sentences, and she’s planning adventures in other countries. For one person to be at the end of their journey, and the other to be just starting, you can imagine how strange that is. I hope to be as integrated, speak as well, and have done as much in this community as she has – she is truly an inspiration.

That being said, I am really excited to get out of this temporary housing situation. I’m ready to unpack, to sit down with my guitar, to cook, to hang out with the dog, to have a front porch . .etc. I’m sure you are all sick of hearing it by now, but as nice as this little house is. . . I’m over it haha.

Anyway. . . that’s all for now –with love always    -t

No comments:

Post a Comment