Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

 
Written Saturday, October 20, 2012

Good afternoon everyone – written from my front porch after a lovely lunch of a papaya and a cucumber salad. All is well here in Quissico – me and the pup are hanging out today (shocking I know).

This week passed quickly, as they all seem to do here, my days are long, but the weeks seem short. I’ve settled into a semi-routine here, something that I was missing from since I arrived in Mozambique – surprisingly I really missed having a routine. I’m up around 5/530am, making instant coffee, and watching the sunrise with my book on the porch. I have breakfast with the pup, and get dressed for my day. By 7/730 I’m out the door this week, Monday and Tuesday I went to the hospital where I have started helping them organize paperwork of people who have abandoned treatment – its my hope that the Peer Educators can start using these papers to go out into the community and find those who have gone astray.

Tuesday I had a REDES meeting in the afternoon – I’m really getting to know the girls so that’s something that I am really enjoying. We are talking about our next project – they want to do something involving cooking, so I am thinking we may make jams or something along those lines, where they can then sell them, and use the money to do other projects. Stay tuned to see how that goes.

Wednesday I had my weekly meeting with ACOMUZA, my one community based organization – again that went really well, we started a loan project – every week people give money (any amount) into the collective account, that money will then be used to start new projects, help those in the community who need it, or help the volunteers involved in the project. It’s a really cool idea, and I did not do it justice explaining it here – but its not something I’m fully involved in, this is something they are doing on their own, so again, I’ll just see how this plays out. Next week we are doing a SWOT analysis on the current projects, and will use that to fine-tune any problems we are currently facing. That way we can strengthen our existing projects, and expand upon them.

Wed afternoon, I went up to Inharrime (I hitchhiked both ways – free rides – good stuff) to go to the modista (seamstress) and have lunch with fellow volunteers there. The one is from the Pittsburgh area, so her and I reminisced about Primanti’s and nights spend down South Side. It was nice to get away for a few hours, it makes coming home all the better.

Thursday I had “Cha Positivia” in the hospital early in the morning – its an opportunity for those who are HIV positive to come to the hospital, talk about their experience, problems, medication etc. . . basically anything dealing with living with HIV. Doctors are present for this to help answer questions, provide guidance etc. It’s all done in the local language of Chopi, so I just sit there and try to catch on the best I can. Its more of a cultural experience for me than anything, and I’m happy just to sit there and smile haha.

After the hospital (on Thursday) I walked down to Despertai, my other community-based organization, and had a really good talk with the president and a fellow colleague there. They have some cool projects going on at the moment, and we have some plans for the future. Firstly, they have a machamba (garden) that has kind of fallen into disrepair so we are going to focus on righting that, that way they can use it to produce food for themselves, the community etc. Also, this coming week I am giving a palestra (informative speech/presentation) about water, and the ways to purify it. I’m going to use that opportunity to talk about possible waterborne illnesses, and things like how to make rehydration salts from things around your house. The manners of purifying water for drinking are simple, as is the recipe for the rehydration beverage- all things that can be easily accessed here in Quissico – so hopefully it’ll go well. Also, starting in January/February we want to start doing health related palestras in the community and high schools, so we will be discussing topics for those.

Yesterday I went to the hospital and worked on the paperwork organization again – I arrive a little early so I can walk through and say hi to the Peer Educators and some of the doctors I like. I’m usually at the hospital from 730ish until maybe noon… rough work day right??

My afternoons and evenings are filled with things like, going for a walk through the market, buying things for lunch/dinner, going on walks with my dog (he is loving that) hanging out with the neighbors, watching movies/tv shows, or reading a book. It’s a really laid-back lifestyle here. At times I find myself thinking that I should be doing something, and then feeling guilty that I’m not – but that usually passes, or I find something to do.

For example – today is Saturday. . . I have no work today, and really didn’t need to do anything. But I was still up at 5ish, I washed my clothes from the week, did dishes, fed the dog, gave myself a pedicure, started a new book, went for a walk in the town – stopping in to talk with my favorite shop-owners, bought some things for lunch/dinner, and then came back to the house where I hung out with some neighbor kids, and my older neighbor. A lot of my day is just spent sitting around talking to people. Its about 2pm here, and my day is over haha.

My house is clean, clothes and dishes washed. . . I may go for a walk with the pup soon, then take a nice bucket bath and make some dinner. This place is starting to feel more like home – and while I still have my moments of “WTF am I doing here” (had one Thursday morning) I’m getting more comfortable with myself, the language, having a house, dog etc. . . I guess I’m growing up haha. Look at me go! I jest, I jest. I’m still as silly as ever, but the only one who ever sees it is the dog – I don’t think my neighbors would understand my eccentricities, there are some things that just don’t translate.

With much love for always- td s

No comments:

Post a Comment