Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Written Sunday October 7, 2012 – from the porch of my new, and official home here in Quissico.

Well kids- this is it. I’m home for the next 2 years.

It’s a surreal feeling.

How can I even put this into words? Angela was here this morning. Its taking a lot to realize that she isn’t coming back. This is my home now, I have a dog, I have a house. Its an incredible place, and for that I am very happy to be here – but I will miss Angela a lot. She’s been a constant in my life here in Africa, from week 1 when I pulled her name out of a hat for site visits – to the visit itself, to then spending the past 2 months with her. . . She has done such incredible work here, been though so much, and has integrated so well. I have some big shoes to fill, but the fact that we got to work together, and she helped introduce me to the community is appreciated more than words can ever say.

It is very strange knowing that very soon, she will be off on new and exciting adventures. She has been an amazing mentor and friend. Miss you already lady – don’t worry, I’ll be a good Tia to your baby, we will have some grand adventures here.

Wow- it has been an emotional day for sure.

It’s like I’m back to my first week here. I’m alone at my site, and suddenly I have a lot of responsibility. It’s really hard to put into words all of the crazy emotions that are running through my mind. I had a good cry today, and probably will have others during this week. It’s scary, exciting, stressful and rewarding.

I’ve been distracting myself with unpacking my things, and trying to get settled here. I was lucky enough to get a lift from the people who took Angela down to Maputo – they had an extra car, and the man driving said it was no worry to help me move. Thank goodness! Two duffel bags and two boxes, as well as various other things are a hard thing for one person to try and carry! I got all of my things into the house by 10ish I would say, and immediately got to work.

I have most of my clothes put away and hung up – makeshift closets in the corners of the room, hung up the mosquito net, organized most of my kitchen supplies, started hanging up pictures on picture boards (pieces of cardboard with capulana covering it) … took a walk into the town (so much closer compared to my first house) and got some tomato, onion and garlic. I made a nice sauce for some pasta, and had that for my “lunner” (lunch and dinner) having not had much of an appetite today.

I have meetings this week, but most of my time is going to be spent attempting to unpack everything and get settled.  I cant help but constantly think, that my first real “home” in my adult life is in Africa – how strange right? I was back and forth between college and my parents house from the age of 17, after college it was between my parent’s house, and my housesitting opportunity, and after that, my brief stint in my apartment with Laura before leaving for Mozambique, and then even here, I’ve been in a homestay family’s house, hotel rooms, and a temporary house. I haven’t been in one location for more than 6 months or so since I was in high school. And now here I am. . . living in a small two room house with a dog.

Really looking forward to the phone call from the rents tonight…. I need some mommy and daddy love. Being a grownup is tough.

On the plus side, the sunset from my porch is absolutely amazing.
Sometimes it’s the little things.

Xoxo

td

No comments:

Post a Comment