Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Friday, October 12, 2012


Written Friday, October 12, 2012

Good morning everyone, another week has passed here in Moz. . . hard to believe its already the middle of October. Only 3 weeks until my Reconnect conference – a week long conference in Maputo where everyone from my group (Moz 18) gets back together to discuss the first three months at site, some plans for the future etc. it’ll be really really great to see everyone.

Today I am expecting a visit from one of the APCD’s here in Quissico. He is coming to check in on how my living situation is, my organizations, etc. Everyone gets a visit during the first three months, just to see how things are going. I’m happy that I am receiving the visit now that I am settled in my new home (pictures to come soon). I am officially unpacked, did my first load of laundry and everying.

Things are going better with my health, just a little stuffy today, with a slight cough. Fingers crossed that the worst is behind me.

Yesterday I went down to Despertai, one of my CBO’s. I spent a bit of time talking with the president about future plans- things we would like to do together, and then went out into the field with her. I got to meet a new family, people that were very close with Angela, so that was really nice. These people have been through so much, and still are some of the nicest people I’ve met here in Quissico. I hope to maintain a good relationship with them over the next two years, and help in any way that I can.

It was overcast and rainy yesterday, and it looks like its shaping up to be that way again today. I don’t mind too much, it’s a nice break from the insane heat, and I know that the gardens here need the rain/water badly.

Soooo that’s it really. Not too much to report here today. Going to see my APCD, get over to the hospital, Acomuza, and Despertai.

I have some things in the works for Acomuza, we are going to do a SWOT analysis on some of their ongoing projects, and I’m going to try to get them set up with using computer systems like Microsoft word, and Excel. They got their computers up and running, virus free, so hopefully we can do something productive with them.

With Despertai, I will continue to do home visits, at the end of this month I am doing a Palestra about water, and ways to purify it for drinking, and how important that is. In the next few months, we will be designing health related palestras about various topics to then give to the community and local schools. Much of this will be decided the last week in October during our monthly meeting. . . secretly I’m really hoping to get them to meet more than once a month (ok not so secretly) because they have some really great ideas, we just need to be together more to actually make them happen.

Tomorrow is going to be a day of domestic duties, more laundry, dishes, and I’m going to do a general clean of the house. Who knows, if its nice maybe I’ll head to the lagoon. Sunday I have promised some friends here that I would go to church with them. So stay tuned for another great church story.

With lots of love-

td

No comments:

Post a Comment