Hello and Welcome!

My photo
Quelimane, Zambezia Province, Mozambique
A small look into what my personal experiences in Mozambique are like. Written as a stream of consciousness, these are my thoughts, my successes and my failures. Life is all about the moments that we live in. I hope that the moment you take out of your life to read this blog is a positive one. The views and opinions in this blog are my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Government or U.S. Peace Corps.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Written Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a pleasant end to your week and a nice weekend!

This week went by really quickly again, and the work continues to go well. The SWOT analysis on Wed with ACOMUZA went really well. People got involved, and we were able to do a full analysis and discussion on one of the projects they have. This coming week we will be doing another about a different project. Continuing this course of action until we have done an analysis on all of the different projects. After that, the goal is to put some of the changes we want to make into action, and follow through with them.

My palestra about purifying water on Thursday with Despertai went really well. Again, people were involved, interested, asked a lot of questions, and at the end of our meeting everyone said they were proud of me for giving my first solo palestra. I was surprised how well it went, and we even talked about some plans for the future. This week coming up we are going to overhaul the garden, and get some things planted that will last through the hot season. And the next big meeting we are going to continue to talk about water, but this time things like how to make homemade oral rehydration salts, the importance of washing hands etc. My next goal with this organization is to get them meeting more than once a month. I’m thinking after the holidays would be best.

It seems like come December time, a lot of people go traveling, because there is time off from school/work etc. sound familiar? Haha

So its almost Halloween time! Does anyone have a great costume idea? Anyone having a Halloween party??

The rest of my week went really well – Friday I was in the hospital until noon, then came home and made stuffed peppers (yep you read that right), and hung out with neighbors. Yesterday I did domestic thigns around the house – laundry, dishes, and a general clean before I went down to one of the churches to watch a choir competition. Listening to people sing here is one of my favorite past times. . . and to watch an organized event of beautiful singing. . .couldn’t have asked for a better Saturday afternoon. Not to mention I score a lot of points with the community and colleagues when I go to any church function here. So, with that said, my Sunday will be spent going to the Methodist church right near my house. Afterwards I have tentative plans to hang out with the neighbors. . . . I love hanging out with them, it always means free food and that I don’t need to cook haha. Plus, its better than sitting around my house alone doing nothing.

I tried to start re-teaching myself how to play guitar, but its so out of tune, that I need to find someone here with a tuner before I could continue. I am about halfway through watching the Soprano’s on my computer, have finished another 2 books, and go for walks with the puppy every now and then. I don’t really feel like I have a lot of down-time, listening to past stories of volunteers, and even current ones. . . I feel like I’ve been keeping busy with both work, and trying to be social here around site. I don’t know if it’s a good thing or a bad thing that I didn’t leave for an overnight trip the entire first 3 months. I did day trips here and there, but always was here for the nights. I want to travel and see Moz, but I also really like my site here, and the friends that I am making. And personally for me, that’s what this experience is all about. Getting to know the people in your community, and having them get to know you.  Plus, if anything, my language is getting better because I hardly speak in English throughout the day. And by hardly, I mean almost never – unless I am on the phone with a fellow volunteer. So I guess that’s a plus.

Anyway, not much else to report here- my hair is greasy, and I should take a bucket bath before church, but instead I’m going to put my hair in a braid, and put on a little extra deodorant . . . welcome to my life in Moz haha.

Missing you all-

td
           

No comments:

Post a Comment